Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Thursday, April 27, 2006

Crossed the Tiber

In order to get into Rome, the City of the Seven Hills, one needs to cross over the Tiber River. This has become a metaphor for converting to Catholicism. After thirty years as an evangelical Christian, I have recently Crossed the Tiber. It's been over two years now and not a moment of regret or wistful desire to cross back do I have. However, I do have a sadness over friendships lost and a smaller circle of immediate friends. But as compensation, I have the palpable sense of having joined a community with 1.5 billion souls on this planet as well as those who have gone before which seems to make up for the temporary losses!
I start this blog in order to explain my journey across the Tiber River as I have experienced it to be a most satisfying and authentic way to live. Becoming Catholic has not just been a changed address on Sunday morning for me, but a brand new (actually ancient) way of apprehending God and being apprehended by Him. I am saddened by the way in which many people (myself included until recently) dismiss Catholics and 2000 years of Christian history.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't know much about history, but I do know that my favorite time every night is going to Mass with you and receiving our Lord in the Eucharist! What an amazing day that was two years ago when we confessed our sins before God and submitted our marriage to Him through the One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church. You could almost hear the angels rejoicing and the Communion of Saints (including our family members who've gone before)offering their prayers of thanksgiving to the Holy Trinity. It is a joy and a privilege to be on this journey with you. May God use our long sojourn away from the Church to help convince other Catholics not to leave, draw our separated brethren in, and lead our ex-Catholic friends and family back to the Fullness of the Truth where the Real Presence of Christ has always been and ever shall be even unto the end of time.

April 27, 2006 10:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Apparently we belong to the same "class" of converts. I was received into the Church two years ago as well and haven't looked back. God bless you on your journey.

May 01, 2006 9:35 PM  
Blogger George M. Sipe said...

I have included you in my "Convert Stories" listing (http://www.convertjournal.com/p/convert-stories.html). Please let me know if you would like any changes to your entry and consider adding the "badge". Thanks.

January 25, 2010 7:34 PM  

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis