Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Friday, August 18, 2006

Our Back Yard and The Blessed Mother

This summer we put a little statue of Mary in our backyard. It gives me a sense of peace as it reminds me that I have a friend in "high places" who prays for me to her son and my Lord, Jesus. I have no desire to worship this cement statue, pay homage or pray to it, but it reminds that Jesus gave his mom to the Church at the Cross when he turned to John and said, "Son, behold your mother." One could argue that this was just a good and faithful Jewish boy making arrangements to care for his mom since he was leaving her without a family, yet it has always been seen as a more global action on Jesus' part. When Jesus said or did anything in His life, the church has always taken those words to go beyond the context of the moment. For example, at the last supper, Christ broke the bread and gave it to his disciples saying "Take eat, this is my body." We believe that Christ continues to give us His body in the breaking of the bread, just as the disciples on the road to Emmaus had experienced.

One last thought for the day, If Jesus did have brothers, why weren't they at the foot of the cross with Mary and John? Hmmmm.......

2 Comments:

Blogger Brother James said...

I imagine that if Jesus had brothers, they would have behaved just as cowardly as a majority of the Apostles, who, after witnessing Jesus perform miracles and teach, ran and hid after His arrest.

August 20, 2006 9:55 AM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

Yes , I suppose you are right.

August 20, 2006 10:48 AM  

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis