Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Sunday, December 31, 2006

The Feast of the Holy Family


Today the Church celebrates the feast of the Holy Family. As a former evangelical believer, the concept of Jesus having a family only seemed important to me during the Christmas season. It was only once a year, that I came close to fulfilling Mary's statement in the Magnificat that "all generations will call me blessed." Catholicism has taught me to appreciate Jesus' family and the appreciation of his Holy Family encourages me to be a better father and husband. His step father, Joseph was a godly man who took great risk in his life to obey God, marry a virgin who was pregnant and then transport his new young family to safety in a foreign land. Surely, he modeled respect and obedience for God to young Jesus. His mother, Mary, is the model for all Christians by saying "yes" to God, "May it be unto me according to your word." Since Jesus' mom is Mary and he is my spritual brother, it is not a stretch to say that Mary is our mother too! At the Cross, Jesus gave his Mom to John, but this has always been interpreted by the Church as Jesus giving his mother to us as well.

Here is a poem posted by another revert/convert posted in honor of this great feast day.
Bon Appetit!

Jesus, Son of God,
You left glory and throne
And descended to earth
Where you had not a home
A babe at Mary's breast
You fell softly asleep,
Near her Immaculate Heart,
Full of love, pure and deep
St. Joseph did guide you
As you learned at his hand
And growing in stature
You became a man
You loved the world
But the world hated you
Our Lord of Mercy,
Bearing Good News
But love us you did
As you hung on that cross
Forgiving the sins
Committed by us
Breathing your last as
Blessed Mary looked on,
You gave us a Mother
When you gave her to John
Jesus, Mary we love you
Save souls that are lost
St. Joseph, patron of families,
Please pray for us!

susie melkus
12.16.06

1 Comments:

Blogger Joyful Catholic said...

Hey TJ,
I sure know what you mean about evangelical days and the Holy Family only being given any "honor" during Christmas... basically only Christmas Eve/Day. I'm still relishing the Christmas season that's sadly "long gone" for our separated brethren. I have such a deep and profound love for Our Lady, Our Blessed Mother during the last two years that we've been back in Holy Mother Church. I certainly NEVER thought of "church" as a Holy Mother, either! Whoa! That's taking it too far isn't it? I know that's what some of my friends might think. I'm sure they might think I've gone "'round the bend", but I can only agree with them, smiling. I've plum gone "round the bend" indeed! Right smack into the Tiber, and into the loving arms of both of Holy Mothers! How wonderful and awesome for God to so love us that he gave us not only his Son, but Mary and Mary's son. Her "yes" gave us our Blessed Savior, for she wasn't forced to say yes. She's our true model, and our Blessed St. Joseph a true spiritual father for us and model for men. What you wrote about St Joseph touched my heart, and I pray that he'll touch other husbands' hearts and fathers' hearts in this fatherless world.

January 02, 2007 6:36 PM  

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis