Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Sunday, December 31, 2006

In All Things Charity

There is much temptation in the blogosphere to respond to our detractors in ways similar to how we are addressed. Sadly, the admonitions of our Lord Jesus regarding our responsibility to loving everyone, even our enemies, don't seem to apply in the blogosphere. We are all very defensive of our faith and I am often guilty of the above. The spirit of triumphalism often wins out over the spirit of charity in addressing issues of faith with those who disparage our own particular theology and world view. One of my recent blogs was about an evangelical pastor who misrepresented Catholic teaching in a sermon posted on the net. I wanted to post Theo's, (a frequent commenter) comments since they are so convicting!

"As it happens I know the pastor in question. He is a very good man who has sacrificed much in terms of worldly gain in order to serve the body of Christ and his community. I find it difficult to imagine that he would intentionally and knowingly speak falsehood about anyone or anything, the Catholic Church included. I hope, pray and choose to believe that he spoke in good faith, albeit in error--and shall continue to believe so unless the man himself personally testifies to the contrary.I believe Tiber is right in his reminding us to refrain from judging those who might make false reports or preach false teachings about the Church. Always, we should be ready to speak the truth--and lovingly defend the truth; however, we should ask God to help cure us of the natural inclination to ascribe ill intent. Of old, Joseph forgave and even blessed his own brothers who had done him ill *intentionally*, saying, "You intended it for evil, but God intended it for good." How much more charitable must we be to our Brothers in Christ who might do us ill, but intend it for good? When by Jesus' grace and mercy we might behold with our own eyes the Beatific Vision, and though our own offenses against God make us worthy of the second death, stand cleansed in the blood of the Lamb who was slain; what human soul, plucked from the fire by grace would dare hold any other soul so redeemed by God accountable for a debt? May God grant us the grace to always show kindness to those who judge us.
With prayers to you and all saints to pray for God's mercy upon me in my brashness,
I remain Your Brother in Christ,
--Theo "

Theo, your thoughts continue to blow me away and humble me. Thanks for visiting my little corner of the ever-expanding blogosphere.

3 Comments:

Blogger Pilgrimsarbour said...

It's always gratifying to see these statements, with which I whole-heartedly agree, expressed so well by Theo. Thanks, Theo. And blessings to you and yours.

January 01, 2007 12:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tiber:

I appreciate your expression of thanks for my posting--so much so that I had to put away pride's allure and resist the temptation to take personal glory in it.

All glory to God. Amen.

With humble thanks,
--Theo

January 01, 2007 9:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ditto for pilgrimsarbour! :-)

PS. Arbour: I just looked at your blogsite. Your photography is astounding! Beautiful!

--Theo

January 01, 2007 7:48 PM  

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis