Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Saturday, January 20, 2007

The Cross of Christ; An Eternal Paradox


An older gentleman in our pro-life group gave me The Medal Crucifix of St. Benedict pictured above. It's a fairly large crucifix being 3 " X 1.75". He said, "you don't have to wear it like I do but I would like you to have it, I got it in Rome." When I first accepted Jesus as my Savior as a 14 year old, I wore a large wooden crucifix all summer long. It had been in my family for years and no one ever wore it because of its size. Once I learned why Christians shouldn't wear the crucifix (Because, I was told that Jesus rose from the dead) , I took it off, never to wear one again.

Thirty four summers have come and gone since that young teenager took off the crucifix but now I long to have the crucifix as close to me as possible. I keep this little St. Benedict crucifix on my bedside table and it's the first thing I see as I fumble for my glasses in the morning and the last thing I see as I turn out the light at night.
This morning as I once again pondered the crucifix at my bedside I was struck with this thought:
The eternal, omnipotent creator God who can never be limited by time and space or our own finite intellect, allowed himself to be subjected to the ultimate limitation of being bound by nails to a wooden cross at a fixed point in time in the history of man.
The crucifix reminds me of this eternal paradox.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis