Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Sunday, January 28, 2007

Feast Of St. Thomas Aquinas


Today the Church celebrates the life of St. Thomas Aquinas (1225-1274), a Doctor of the Church.
His writings are studied in both Catholic and Protestant seminaries particularly for his philosophy on faith and reason. Aquinas argued that the truth in Aristotle’s philosophy is complemented and completed by the truth revealed in the Christian tradition. He is considered by many to be the greatest theologian in Catholicism and his Summa Theologica perhaps one of the most influential writings in the Church. Yet, at the end of his life he left the Summa unfinished saying: "I cannot go on . . . All that I have written seems to me like so much straw compared to what I have seen and what has been revealed to me."

He was a hymn writer as well as theologian, monk and mystic. It had been reported that he once levitated when he prayed! One of his hymns, Pange Lingua, is used during Eucharistic Adoration and his devotion to the Real Presence of Christ in the Eucharist is made evident in the lyrics and was helpful to me to better understand Christ in the Eucharist.

SING, my tongue, the Savior's glory,
of His flesh the mystery sing;
of the Blood, all price exceeding,
shed by our immortal King,
destined, for the world's redemption,
from a noble womb to spring.

Of a pure and spotless Virgin
born for us on earth below,
He, as Man, with man conversing,
stayed, the seeds of truth to sow;
then He closed in solemn order
wondrously His life of woe.

On the night of that Last Supper,
seated with His chosen band,
He the Pascal victim eating,
first fulfills the Law's command;
then as Food to His Apostles
gives Himself with His own hand.

Word-made-Flesh, the bread of nature
by His word to Flesh He turns;
wine into His Blood He changes;
what though sense no change discerns?
Only be the heart in earnest,
faith her lesson quickly learns.

Down in adoration falling,
Lo! the sacred Host we hail;
Lo! o'er ancient forms departing,
newer rites of grace prevail;
faith for all defects supplying,
where the feeble sense fail.

To the everlasting Father,
and the Son who reigns on high,
with the Holy Ghost proceeding
forth from Each eternally,
be salvation, honor, blessing,
might and endless majesty.
Amen. Alleluia.

Lord Jesus, grant me but a tincture of that vision that St. Thomas had!

St. Thomas, On your feast day I ask that you would pray for me to see Jesus the way you saw Him in the Eucharist. Amen


Hear the Hymn in Latin

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love that hymn ... couldn't get it out of my head all day. ;)

January 29, 2007 5:49 PM  
Blogger Adoro said...

Adoro te devote, latens Deitas,
Quae sub his figuris vere latitas;
Tibi se cor meum totum subjicit
Qui te contemplans, totum deficit

Godhead here in hiding, whom I do adore,
Masked in form and shadow, shape and nothing more
See Lord, here at thy service,
Low lies here a heart;
Lost, all lost in wonder
At the God thou art


Makes me cry every time.

January 29, 2007 10:03 PM  

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis