Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Monday, August 20, 2007

Just When You Wanted To Stop Blogging...

Sometimes I wonder whether blogging really ever reaches anyone. More often than not, if the truth be told (as if you couldn't tell), I can get as snarky as the rest of 'em. Perhaps I've alienated more than I have reconciled. It's been 3.5 years and I still have a growing passion for sharing how Catholicism can draw us ever closer to God. If PD and I just reverted without ever telling others out there what we have found, it would be selfish. We feel like we hit the jackpot and are trying to let other people see the treasure that's under all of our noses. I don't want anyone out there to not consider the Church because they were never challenged with the Truth as we see it. When I was in high school and had been challenged by a well-catechized Catholic perhaps my life would have been much different. I trust that He works all things to the good, but I do wonder sometimes.... Anyway, So when you see a post like the one below on a blog, it makes you think it might be worth plugging along.

Here's a quote from the Hidden One, a soon to be convert. (He is not referring to my blog BTW)

"I'm a convert-in-progress to the Catholic Church - that is to say that last September I ran into a Catholic's blog online, questioned/attacked Catholic theology, started a debate, lost horribly, and had firmly switched sides by November. Since then, I've researched Catholicism extensively, taken a lot of flack from a lot of people, discussed and debated theology with a lot of people, and never yet wavered, becoming evermore convinced of the truth of the Catholic Church in heart and in head. (On that note, if you ever want to discuss a theological issue, hop on over to my blog, "Why Yes, I Do Believe Something, Actually" (wyidbsa) and let fly. I'd be happy to discuss, debate, to answer questions about anything related to Catholic theology under the sun - and perhaps you can lead me deeper into Catholic spirituality, where I am quite the novice. I was raised Presbyterian, with a small slice of Arminian Sunday schooling mixed in. I eventually went non-denom, sliding Arminian, until I hit my Catholic debate opponent, where I 'fought' the Catholic Church from all angles, Calvinist and Arminian, using anything and everything I had. (I will hopefully start RCIA this fall.) Since then, I've encountered plenty of things far above and beyond what meager attacks I could launch, but with some research, thought, and occasionally consulting my debate opponent, now friend, I've handled it all. I'm quite sure there's plenty more that can be thrown at my conviction, but, after all, the beauty of Catholic apologetics is that virtually any issue anyone has with Catholic anything has already been dealt with by somebody else (often pre-Reformation) and it just gives me something more to read."

Lord Jesus, bring folks closer to you in the fullness of Truth.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please don't quit blogging. You and PD have helped me a lot through your blog. I don't post comments much for personal reasons, but I really appreciate both of you.

August 20, 2007 10:41 AM  
Blogger Cow Bike Rider said...

I would appreciate your continued blogging. The timing of your post is uncanny really, as I am moving from the world of 'anonymous' to the world of putting those questions out there myself. Like the link you post here, I too have been considering entering RCIA this fall. Not sure if life will allow that though (given my current schedule with 3 little kids). If circumstances make it uncertain, I decided to use this time for additional discernment by picking up the keyboard and floating the questions.

So keep posting. I check your site regularly. And if it's acceptable, I would like to add you to my (as of yet) undeveloped blogroll.

Every Blessing in Christ,

August 20, 2007 11:18 AM  
Blogger owenswain said...

It's much harder to quit than it is to start, I know, I've quit several times. I am glad you are continuing to blog. Each voice matters and I have to believe all the more so when it comes to sharing our Catholic faith.

O | luminousmiseries.ca | onionboy.ca

August 20, 2007 1:11 PM  
Blogger Hidden One said...

Keep blogging! Keep blogging!

You've been responsible for the last 3 additions (one being yours) to my blogroll, and that's good, cause it was getting stale. Keep blogging from a convert's perspective! Keep helping the rest of us out! It's really appreciated.

August 20, 2007 1:58 PM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

Hey thanks so much folks, now I'm all "beklempt" I wasn't fishing for these encouraging words, but I'll take them as such.
God bless

August 20, 2007 6:08 PM  
Blogger MMajor Fan said...

Hi tiber and PD. Another interesting blog posting, as usual!

Quick thoughts. I think Catholic blogging is invaluable. I think the Internet is OK, with the cautions you describe. The reason I think Catholic blogging is valuable is that it follows in the tradition of public preaching and witnessing in the public square, as the Apostles and disciples did immediately upon the descent of the Holy Spirit upon them to guide them. So long as the blogging is rooted in Catholic orthodoxy then the genuine guidance of the Holy Spirit is insured. If the blogging is outside of Catholic catechism, then obviously the blogger becomes the person being a pretend prophet in the public square. The other problem with blogging is that unlike the public square in the days of the Acts of the Apostles and St Paul's Epistles, in the Internet people are hiding their identity and not looking eye to eye with each other. Security and privacy require caution, but it is a difference in evangelizing that must be recognized. I tried to do Internet counseling for my Psychology MA thesis, for example, and found that it was 95% of those who communicated with me had bogus identities and hidden agendas. As I've cautioned before, the Internet promotes breaking the Commandment of false witness. (False witness is not "white lies," it is just as serious a Commandment as the rest of them.) Face to face evangelizing with people whose identities are genuine is still the only true way to the Church. If blogging stimulates face to face or goodly research, without veering into false witness, then it is still a plus. It also is a form of community, for example, I enjoy visiting your blog as a friend. However I have become very cautious about that feeling because as I said, my inadvertent research shows that 95 percent of what is Internet communication is hidden agenda driven. Hidden agenda is a form of taking advantage of people and false witness, and I won't encourage, condone, or reward people who do that by reading more of their material than absolutely necessary.

August 20, 2007 8:51 PM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

MMF:
Great thoughts, it is true that hidden identity and hidden agenda and the lack of eye contact put a very difficult wrench in this whole thing,
also the inability to hear someone's inflection or facial expression and often the post comes out with a different intention of the author.
Yes it is a form of community and I have found much support that we needed upon our reversion since we were pretty much fish out of water fo awhile until we established community among Catholics in our area, which takes time but is worth it for the community to be valid and healthy.
Thanks for your thoughts, always
deep and orthodox!

August 20, 2007 9:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Lord Jesus, bring folks closer to you in the fullness of Truth."

Amen!

Blogging does take time and effort--but hey it's fun--and addictive--once you start it's hard to stop--beside that your good at it--don't stop.

August 21, 2007 12:52 AM  
Blogger Joyful Catholics said...

Like I said in an email TJ...you're in good company my friend! St Jerome is cheering you on...and he's was as snarky as it got back in his day. He called people "Sons of Satan" and "Spawn of the devil" and look where he's at now!

Bless you, TJ.

susie

August 21, 2007 7:43 AM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

Hmm,.....You think he didn't even get purgatory for the temporal consequences of his snarkiness? :)

August 21, 2007 5:02 PM  
Blogger Amber said...

TJ,

Your blog is one of my favorites and my blogroll would never be the same without you in it!

I learn much from you and love your insights.

August 21, 2007 7:18 PM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

thanks Amber!
it has been a great joy watching your conversion through the blogosphere. You are some part of the reason to keep pushing on!

August 22, 2007 4:47 PM  

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis