Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

St Robert Bellarmine


Today the Church celebrates the heroic life of faith of Robert Bellarmine. Born in 1542 after the beginning of the reformation, he was a theologian, bishop, catechist and Doctor of the Church.
His work "Disputationes de Controversiis Christianae Fidei adversus hujus temporis hereticos"
was an important work to defend the Church against the attacks of protestantism. He eloquently explained how the pope could not be the Anti-Christ as was being taught by some of the reformation writings.

St. Bellarmine, pray for us that we would have both boldness and charity in defending and explaining our Catholic faith to others.

2 Comments:

Blogger Brother James said...

It's interesting that today, I was asked for a summary of what I believe as a Catholic. I never really thought about it before. I wrote the inquirer that a summary would start with the Apostles' Creed. But how does one condense 2000 years of Church tradition and doctrine? The Catechism isn't the most concise document.

September 17, 2008 11:24 AM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

I am not sure there is a way!
But the Compendium of the Catechism that came out a few yrs ago is a great help to encapsulate the main points of the Catechism. It is available free online at the vatican website.
hope all is going well for the St Jimbob household.

September 17, 2008 4:53 PM  

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis