Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Friday, December 19, 2008

Another Reason to Become Catholic
















I admit, this is perhaps not the best reason to convert, but since I have been Catholic, the array of Christmas cards to choose for friends and family has just expanded exponentially!
From the whimsical to the wonderfully illuminated images of the Holy Family from all those great pre-reformation artists. The sky is the limit and I no longer have to limit my selection to the Thomas Kincade collection at our local bible bookstore.
I don't have to avoid the beautiful sacred images of ancient times that told the glorious story of His birth. I remember before I returned to the Church, how I would avoid like-the-plague any image that depicted the Holy Family with halos around their heads.
After all, a halo around Mary's head could get you thinking that... hmmm.... maybe she was like a little more special to God than a random Jewish virgin.

(This was originally posted Dec 1, 2006)

2 Comments:

Blogger George Weis said...

HA! Funny Russ :D
Weird, our bookstore down here has the halo-versions of these scenes. They also carry one Catholic Bible that is well hidden :D I found that funny!

Anyway, I certainly don't feel that way about the sacred art of the past, well most of it anyway. Our Bookstore has a rather large card collection here in old Lanc-PA.

What kinda Christians did you rub elbows with before my friend? Sounds like you have a bit of stinging sarcasm towards them now. I have never thought Mary as some random Jewish virgin. She is special... no doubt about that!

Blessings to you!

-g-

December 19, 2008 8:44 PM  
Blogger Joyful Catholics said...

Ha! George, I bought my first Catholic Study Bible at Parable book store and you're right, it's wasn't easy to find, rather obscurely placed, and I wonder what they thoght selling it to me?? I went there before I knew where Gloria Deo was, which, I found out later is only 5 blocks from our house!! LOL.

Good one, Russ! You're right, the copious cards are glorious!

Have you received many cards stamped w/ the Mother and Child stamp of so many years? Every one we've received this year has the pine sprig and pine cone. Just find that interesting. Even from Catholic relatives. It's like Mary's being 'dissed.' However, there is much significance of the Evergreen/pine cone related to Mary and religious Tradition, too, but I found it odd that only one card was stamped w/ that beautiful Madonna & Child.

Blessings to you and Deborah and sons!

December 19, 2010 11:08 AM  

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis