Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Sunday, December 28, 2008

Dr. Beckwith on "Good Works"

Here's a snippet from Chapter 6 of Return to Rome.

"As I have said, the purpose of good works for the Catholic is not to get you into heaven, but to get heaven into you. The Catholic already believes that he or she is an adopted child of God wholly by God's grace. For the practicing Catholic, good works, including participating in the sacraments, works of charity, and prayer, are not for the purpose of earning heaven. For good works are not meant to pay off a debt in the Catholic scheme of things. Rather, good works prepare us for heaven by shaping our character and keep us in communion with God so that we may be "holy and blameless and irreproachable before him" (Col 1:22)

4 Comments:

Blogger PlainCatholic said...

"...get heaven into you..." Spot On! Allow me to share with you a link to St. Benedict's Rule: he devoted an entire chapter of his rule to the whats and whys of good works titled, appropriately enough, "The Instruments of Good Works".

http://www.monksok.org/chap4a.html
There are 5 parts and to see the whole chapter and commentary just click at the bottom of the page for the next bit.

Happy New Year!

December 30, 2008 5:48 PM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

thanks for the link.
I will check out your site as well !
God bless you too and Happy New Year!

December 30, 2008 6:15 PM  
Blogger George Weis said...

I would like to give that book a read. I heard this news a while back... I didn't realize he was a revert though. I thought He just made the jump!

I appreciated this statement to. I think you have said similar things before no?

Much love to you Russ!

-g-

December 30, 2008 10:07 PM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

Send me your address privately George and maybe you will find a late Christmas present Santa has for you. contact me at dobrodoc1(at)gmail.com

December 31, 2008 11:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis