Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Favorite Prayers

Magister tagged me for this. What are your three favorite prayers?
For sure the two that I say frequently are the Fatima prayer, and the Anima Christi, which I keep a copy in my wallet to pray after each reception of the Holy Eucharist. Maybe a third might be the Morning Offering which I pray when I am walking into work each day.

"O my Jesus, forgive us our sins, save us from the fires of hell, lead all souls to Heaven, especially those in most need of Thy mercy. Amen."



Soul of Christ, sanctify me
Body of Christ, save me
Blood of Christ, inebriate me
Water from Christ's side, wash me
Passion of Christ, strengthen me
O good Jesus, hear me
Within Thy wounds hide me
Suffer me not to be separated from Thee
From the malicious enemy defend me
In the hour of my death call me
And bid me come unto Thee
That I may praise Thee with Thy saints

and with Thy angels
Forever and ever
Amen




O Jesus,
through the Immaculate Heart of Mary,
I offer You my prayers, works,
joys and sufferings
of this day for all the intentions
of Your Sacred Heart,
in union with the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass
throughout the world,
in reparation for my sins,
for the intentions of all my relatives and friends,
and in particular
for the intentions of the Holy Father.
Amen.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Nancy said...

I love the Anima Christi too and pray it in thanksgiving after Holy Communion and near the end of my weekly adoration time.

My other biggies are the St. Michael prayer - don't leave home without all the protection you can get - and the Divine Mercy chaplet.

Great meme.

July 28, 2010 1:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can you help? I have read your beautiful coming home story and feel you may be able to advise me.

After 15 years of searching, I was received into the church this last Easter Vigil. I liked the priest and congregation very much, but had issues with a gentleman I originally asked to be my sponsor. On the day the candidates met with the Bishop, I gave this gentleman a lift home.I naively asked this chap about confession and the ensuing converstion made me recoil; I won't relate the converstion, but it raked up a lot of bad childhood stuff.

Long story short, I couldn't get past this incident, despite discussing with the Priest.I only attended mass infrequently and now wonder what to do. It took much effort to take the steps to find that church and the prospect of starting that process again seems too much.I feel very sad about this and won't rest until I can see a way forward.I fear for my immortal soul.

Best wishes

Anna

July 28, 2010 5:51 PM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

Dear Anna:

HAve no fears- Jesus wants to give you all graces through the Catholic Church you have become a part of. He has given us the pathways to holiness in these things called sacraments. The Eucharist and Confession in particular.
It sounds like your sponsor was not a well soul and it is probably best to move on to another parish. You don't have to start over again. That's the beauty of Catholicism! Go to another parish and make an appointment to go to confession or just find out when the confession hours are. Confess your sin of missing the Lord's Day,talk to the priest and begin to avail yourself of all the wonderful grace that is waiting for you.
remember, that Satan is a roaring lion looking for whom he can devour, and he will do anything to keep a child of God away from the Eucharist, who is Jesus.
As much as people get attached to their first Church after becoming Catholic, the reality is that you have joined the universal Church which meets everywhere!
Find another parish, go to daily Mass if possible and you will find kindred souls there who love the Lord and his Church.
Please contact me offline at dobrodoc1 at gmail dot com.

Also as Nancy said above, Ask with St Michael to intercede for you and do battle for you. he is powerful through the power given him by our Lord. Take advantage of the tools that you have at your disposal.
Our prayers are with you.

July 28, 2010 9:16 PM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

Ah yes, I forgot the prayer to St Michael! Thanks!

July 28, 2010 9:17 PM  
Blogger NanaR said...

The Fatima Prayer, the Salve Regina, and the prayer to St. Michael are personal favorites. My grandson loves the Guardian Angel prayer (the one that starts "Angel of mine, my guardian dear"; there are a bunch of different ones). When I pray the Our Father, the Catholic me feels connected to the five-year-old me who prayed that prayer every morning in First Grade (1958 -- such things were still allowed ;-).

Thanks for posing the question TJ!

August 01, 2010 4:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Nana, I thought you were a JW your whole life! Catholic born eh?

tiberjumper

August 05, 2010 7:37 PM  

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis