Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Monday, July 25, 2011

"Augustine Was A Devout Catholic"

I love when a new convert discovers the Early Church Fathers. You can almost hear the light go on in their head (yeah I know it's a mixed metaphor). Check out this newly minted Wheaton graduate's blog post on St. Augustine. Keep up the good work(s) Brantly!

When I read the ECF regarding the Eucharist, I had mixed feelings. First was a warm, winsome sense of finding what (who) I had long been seeking (Jesus' Real Presence) Second, I became angry, feeling as if I was kept from all these writings for all the years I was a Protestant. With one hour sermons every Sunday for 30 years, you would think I would hear one sermon about what the early Christians really believed, based on the writings of ECF's like Augustine. A few of my pastors over the years did actually have seminary degrees and must have studied patristics.
I have referred to the Early Church Fathers as "Inconvenient Truths"

2 Comments:

Blogger Patricia Milot said...

Thanks for the Truth you share.
The way you explain things about our Catholic Religion, through Church teaching makes so much sence and helps me be stronger in my own faith. Thanks, Russ, for all you do!

July 27, 2011 11:21 PM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

thanks so much for the encouragement Patti!!! God bless

July 28, 2011 8:26 AM  

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis