Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Monday, August 08, 2011

Baptists at Nicea in 325 AD?

"Does it seem likely that a council of "Evangelical Protestants" (which, remember, is exactly what the Baptist writer of that article in the Journal was arguing they were) would issue a canon laying out the liturgical order for the distribution of the Eucharist? Not likely. Of course, one would expect such a thing at a Catholic council. And that is precisely why we see this and similar canons emanating from this council: It was a Catholic assembly, not a Protestant one."  (An excerpt from Fr. Hugh's article below)

 Father Hugh,  a Catholic patristics scholar, studied the writings and theology of the Early Church fathers and has written an article to answer those who make the claim that the early Christians were protestant in their theology. Here's a link to the article.

2 Comments:

Blogger kkollwitz said...

As soon as I saw the title, I wondered if this was the "powerful preaching, Brother Athanasius" article...it is!

More than 10 years ago when my wife and I were teaching RCIA, we used that article as a class handout.

August 09, 2011 9:47 AM  
Anonymous Mrk said...

Russ,
I read Fr Hugh's article, along with the article he is referencing. I don't think he represented it well, but more caricatured it. Its intent seemed to be to defend against some cultic criticisms of what happened at Nicea, and no necessarily against Roman Catholicism.

August 09, 2011 3:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis