Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Friday, January 06, 2012

Priest Miraculously Healed

When I was interviewed on the Journey Home Program on EWTN in 2007, I told the story of how my wife was diagnosed with an incurable and exceedingly rare lung cancer and the way in which we dealt with it by twisting scripture and trying to "claim our healing." At the time we had one 6 month old infant and I was in a very high powered and stressful medicine residency in Philadelphia. Some of the folks in our church convinced us that Jesus would heal my wife, as long as we believed and did not waver in our faith. Acting in faith, we conceived another child and continued to pursue the healing despite worsening x ray reports. To maintain this non-wavering faith in spite of the obvious progression of the cancer was a very hard and arduous task to continue for 8 years!

In spite of thousands of prayers and my fasting from Tuesday evenings to Thursday mornings for several years at a time, God called her home. Not our will but His. Jesus allowed us to share His cup of suffering in some small way, though we didn't realize it at the time because we did not understand the concept of redemptive suffering enunciated so clearly by Saint Paul in Scripture.

After the interview aired in December 2007, I received over 80 e-mails and one of them was from a Christian who asked why I don't believe that God can heal anymore. I gently explained that I certainly do believe God can supernaturally heal but in His timing if it is His will. As a matter of fact in Catholicism, a miracle is one of the ways that we are assured that a person has reached sainthood and is intercessing for us from heaven.

Here is a link to a story from a Catholic priest who was miraculously healed of paraplegia through the heavenly intercession of Blessed Father Seelos.
Catholicism has never ceased believing that God can do miracles, as dispensational protestant sects have. One of Saint Francis DeSales talking points to the Calvinists of Chablais in the 1600's was that the Catholic faith still had miracles occurring on a regular basis compare to the paucity of miracles in protestantism. The main miracle in Catholicism happens every day across the planet. The God of the universe comes to us in the appearances of bread and wine on every altar where the Holy Mass is validly celebrated. That's a miracle we can all experience!

1 Comments:

Blogger Patricia Milot said...

Wonderful writing, Russ! Thank you for your great story and reinforcing how beautiful our Catholic religion is, especially in the Eucharist!

January 07, 2012 12:26 AM  

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis