Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Thursday, December 03, 2015

Catholics Are Praying People!

A few years ago I posted my plans to make a homemade prie deu, which is a kneeler. Catholics understand the importance of physical gestures in their worship once again illustrating the incarnational principle that God uses the physical things of earth to lead us to the things of heaven, even our liturgical gestures of kneeling and genuflection, applying the sign of the cross etc. One of my many humbling experiences as a new Catholic was discovering I could not pray an entire rosary on my knees! I learned quickly that many Catholics much older and "out of shape" than I could pray the entire rosary , which takes about 17-20 minutes on their knees. I had back spasms, knee pain, whatever. Over time, however, it became easier for me to kneel and in especially mass during the Eucharistic prayer I have no problem anymore maintaining that posture of kneeling. Pity the Haitians and others in the third world without the cushioned kneelers that us soft "first worlders" demand!
    So I decided to build a kneeler for my prayer room at home. I searched the internet and found kits and plans but the costs were high so I decided to improvise my own. I later posted the plans on this post. Over the years, that blog post has gotten daily hits far in excess of my other blog posts. My not so scientific conclusion is that Catholics are indeed, praying people!

                                            


1 Comments:

Blogger Shirley said...

We are! I sure wish we still had Communion rails in our churches; I prefer to kneel for Communion, and in the last couple of months my hip is giving out on me and it makes it very difficult to arise from a kneeling position without help, so to avoid scandal I now stand for Communion. It's a sad day for me.

December 04, 2015 9:05 AM  

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis