Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Thursday, May 11, 2006

"I Believe in the Communion of Saints" What's that?

In the creed we all say we believe in the Communion of Saints. As a Protestant, that had many different meanings for me; the Lord's table, fellowship etc. But what did it mean to the apostles of the early church who are said to have written this creed? They believed that Christians continue to pray and intercede for one another even after they have gone to Glory. They believed that death did not separate the Church members from each other and that prayers could be offered for those who have died and vice-a-versa. Kind of makes sense. My late wife was very loving and known for her concern for others. She had a strong prayer life. When she got before the throne of God, do I think that her essential nature would change and that her love and concern and prayerfulness would end just because of death? We truly become more alive than we ever were when we die! I suspect, but won't know until Glory, that my late wife as well as me Mum prayed me back into the Catholic Church!

"The effectual prayers of a righteous man availeth much." (James) How much more effective will be our prayers when we reach heaven?

Yes, but the Bible says: "There is only one mediator between God and men, Christ Jesus"

Well, then why do we ask each other to pray for one another if there is only one mediator? Why not go straight to Jesus? The mediation this verse pertains to is salvation, and doesn't negate praying for one another. Actually, the whole chapter is about intercession now that I look at it with my Reformation-colored glasses removed. (Re-read 1 Tim 2 again) Christ gave us a church of kindred souls here and in heaven to pray for one another.(They communicate one with the other) Paul commands us to pray for one another in this letter to Timothy. Nowhere in Scripture does it say that prayers and intercession and love for one another ceases after physical death. Rev 5:8 speaks of the prayers of the saints being poured out like "golden bowls full of incense."
So we know biblically, that prayers are being said in Heaven and that it doesn't stop once we get there.
Some saints in Heaven have been observed to have a particular "skill" at obtaining grace from our Lord for certain situations. For instance, St. Frances DeSales started a counter-reformation that is estimated to have won 60,000 Calvinists back to the Catholic Church. Therefore, even as I write this Blog, I am asking St. Frances DeSales to pray to Jesus for me for the hearts of those reading this. I am not worshipping him, calling him back from the dead (like I tried to do with Jimi Hendrix and a Ouija board as a kid) or honoring him above Jesus. I'm just saying: (in a Joysey accent) "Hey St. Frances, you knew how to talk to these Protestants about the Church, do me a fava and ask Jesus to help me talk to them about His Church" and that my friends, is the Communion of Saints.
http://www.catholicapologetics.org/ap070000.htm

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis