Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Beloved Physician Saint Luke and the Hippocratic Oath


Today the Church celebrates the life and writing of one very important physician, Saint Luke. The only gentile to write a gospel he also wrote about the deeds of Peter and Paul in the Book of Acts. Paul referred to him as the "beloved physician." I feel honored to be a part of a profession that goes back to the days even before Christ walked the earth. Yet, I feel saddened at the departure many physicians have made from their original Hippocratic Oath. Most folks don't know this but the original oath prohibited physicians from giving an abortifacient as well as any drug to end life!

"I will neither give a deadly drug to anybody who asked for it, nor will I make a suggestion to this effect. Similarly I will not give to a woman an abortive remedy. In purity and holiness I will guard my life and my art."

Saint Luke probably took the original oath in order to practice his art and I also took this oath. Though in 1985, at my state medical school, the oath I swore was barely recognizeable as the Hippocratic Oath, since they removed all references to abortion and euthanasia.

Let's ask Saint Luke on his feast day, to ask God for the grace for physicians to return to the original oath that was life affirming and completely in accord with the Gospel of Life.

St Luke, I ask you to speak to God on my behalf for the grace and strength to practice my art in "purity and holiness." So God will be glorified and someday I will hear the Lord call me a beloved physician.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis