Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Feast of Blessed Frances Xavier Seelos 1819-1867


Today the Church remembers a missionary priest known for his devotion to the poor and care for the sick . He was a German priest who came to the United States and was active in teaching and preaching during the Civil War. He spent time in several states including Pennsylvania , NJ and Maryland but finally ended his ministry in New Orleans among the poor.

"So the doctor says I am to die! Oh, what pleasant news! How thankful I am! And to you, doctor, how much I have to return thanks for your kindness and attention to me!
"

The words of Blessed Father Frances Xavier Seelos after contracting yellow fever from his ministry among the sick in New Orleans in 1867. He died at 48 years of age.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you wrote:
"So the doctor says I am to die! Oh, what pleasant news! How thankful I am! And to you, doctor, how much I have to return thanks for your kindness and attention to me! "

The words of Blessed Father Frances Xavier Seelos after contracting yellow fever from his ministry among the sick in New Orleans in 1867. He died at 48 years of age."

Thanks for sharing that, Tiber.

Contrast Father Seelos' example in death with the cartoon tract image of rosary-bead cluthing Catholics peering into the gaping maw of Hell, screaming in fear and hopeless agony as they vainly beg for their lives.

--Theo

October 03, 2006 7:12 PM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

Exactly my Thoughts Theo!

October 03, 2006 8:39 PM  

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis