Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Thursday, January 04, 2007

St. Elizabeth Seton


Today the Church celebrates the life and times of St. Elizabeth Ann Seton. She was a convert to Catholicism from a devout Episcopal faith in 1805. She was drawn to Catholicism as a result of the witness of a Catholic family that ministered to her dying husband while on a trip in Italy.

She said three basic points led her to become a Catholic: belief in the Real Presence, devotion to the Blessed Mother and conviction that the Catholic Church led back to the apostles and to Christ. She experienced much rejection from friends and family upon her return to the United States with news of her intention to convert.
While raising five children she started a children's school in Baltimore as well as an orphanage and a religious order. She was the first American saint to be canonized in 1975.

“The first end I propose in our daily work is to do the will of God; secondly, to do it in the manner he wills it; and thirdly, to do it because it is his will.”
St. Elizabeth Seton

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Im starting to become very confused on the whole "first American saint issue" because to date this is the third person i've heard was the first American saint.

The first that I heard was an American Indian the second was someone canonized not too long ago in the mid west - a capuchin.. cant remember his name and now Ive heard this one.. Who was the first?!?!

January 04, 2007 10:29 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

How do you pronounce her last name?

Satan?
Settin'?
Say-tone?

January 04, 2007 11:17 AM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

It's pronounced like "SeeTon"
When I grew up in NJ, I lived not far from Seton Hall, a Catholic university. So we always pronounced as above.
If you get the chance, drive up to the Grotto, a great shrine in Emmitsburg, Maryland where she is buried. It's very cool, and there is an adoration chapel for a little chat with Jesus while you are there!

January 04, 2007 4:22 PM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

Hey GFF!
St. Seton was the first American citizen to be canonized, the others were either foreing born immigrants or Katerewitha, the native American indian convert saint who was not considered a citizen. I think that's where the confusion lies.

The National Shrine of Elizabeth Ann Seton is in Emmitsburg and is worth the trip. it is by the nearby Grotto of Mount St. Mary's.

The capuchin from the midwest was Solanus Casey who Fr. Benedict Groeschel(Fransciscan Friars of the renewal) knew while he was still alive. Solanus spent hours at night transfixed before the Blessed Sacrament. He is venerable but his case for canonization is still being put forth, so he is not officially recognized as a saint yet.
"Fr. Solanus spent his life in the service of people. At the monastery door as porter he met thousands of people from every age and walk of life and earned recognition as "The Doorkeeper." He was always ready to listen to anyone at any time, day or night.

During his final illness, he remarked, "I'm offering my suffering that all might be one. If only I could see the conversion of the whole world." His last conscious act was sitting up in bed and saying, "I give my soul to Jesus Christ." He died at the age of 86 on July 31, 1957 at the same day and hour of his First Holy Mass 53 years earlier."

"

January 04, 2007 4:40 PM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

Hey GFF,
Venerable Solanus Casey was a fiddler too!
You can got to his website and hear an actual recording. He was no Vassar Clemens but I give him A for All Heart!
http://www.solanuscasey.org/

January 04, 2007 8:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow very cool!! Thanks for all the info and clarification hehe. I'm terrible on my saint history. I do ok in bible trivia gaves but I did a saint trivia with some cradle Catholics and got my butt kicked! Hehe

January 04, 2007 10:13 PM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

I subscribed to st anthony's saint of the day and after awhile it starts to stick in your head! Dont worry God fearing One, your learning curve appears to be exponential so far!
The beauty is all these folks we never knew of can be praying for us!
The cloud of witnesseses from Hebrews

January 04, 2007 10:19 PM  
Blogger Pilgrimsarbour said...

I inquired about her not long ago since I have been tuning for St. Elizabeth Ann Seton church in my area for some time. They're one of my favourite customers because they almost always have a check waiting for me when I finish! And believe me, that's not trivial.

January 05, 2007 6:55 PM  

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis