Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Monday, August 20, 2007

The Communion of MySaints

Even MySpace has become a place to share the Catholic faith. Thank God for all the folks who put their faith out there into cyberspace. There are numerous MySpace pages for apologetics, devotional and catechetical materials but I liked this one in particular. It is a clearing house for of all the Saints who have "MySpaces."

See, this proves the saints aren't dead because they have access to the internet! I believe in the Communion of MySaints.
*****************************************************************************************
NB: I personally recommend caution on MySpace because of the inappropriate photos that sometimes get posted by "friends" of the saints. I have a MySpace for my music career but rarely use it for that reason. Your mileage may vary, but I warned you! God bless, but be careful out there and make sure you have accountability software installed on your computer. The path to sainthood will not likely be found on the internet. I suspect 300 years from now when the Pope is canonizing a saint from our current generation, it will be noted that "Saint Smith refused to use the internet and in seminary he removed the T1 cable connection to his dorm room, causing a major ruckus at St. Mary's."
His mother was rumored to say, "We gave him an I Phone for Christmas but he threw it away!"

Yet it was St. Francis of Assisi who said "Go through all the world and preach the Gospel and if you must, use the net."

14 Comments:

Blogger Skyrim Geek said...

Tiber,

You asked GFF to have me email you, but you never gave him your email address. Can you send it to him?

August 20, 2007 5:15 PM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

yes Joseph sure thing
Thanks

August 20, 2007 5:56 PM  
Blogger Skyrim Geek said...

Another one...

http://irishandcatholic.wordpress.com/2007/02/03/my-conversion-story/

August 20, 2007 9:33 PM  
Blogger Skyrim Geek said...

http://irishandcatholic.wordpress.com/2007/02/03/
my-conversion-story/

August 20, 2007 9:33 PM  
Blogger Adoro said...

If Catholics didn't have a presence on the internet, we'd be in trouble. That would be like St. Francis not bothering to walk around town when he could have just remained in the hermitage. After all, there were SINNERS in that town, and he went out AMONG them!

St. Francis and St. Dominic and St. Augustine didn't leave their times to the wolves...why should we leave the internet to the predators for fear we won't be saints if we preach the gospel in html?

August 20, 2007 10:38 PM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

Great story of conversion Joseph!
Thanks so much for posting your link.

August 20, 2007 10:52 PM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

Adoro;
I do wonder how many reversions/conversions were due to solid apologetics sites as well as blogdom.

August 20, 2007 10:53 PM  
Blogger Skyrim Geek said...

Um, that wasn't my story! That was somebody else! A friend of mine passed that link onto me.

August 20, 2007 11:13 PM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

sorry Joseph!
It dawned on me at the end someone referred to the writer as danny, and I figured it was D. Garland from Pittsburgh. You are in Conn?

It was a good story though!

August 20, 2007 11:18 PM  
Blogger Joyful Catholics said...

I agree with Adoro...the wolves shouldn't be left here to devour lost little lambs.

Yes, do be careful about My Space... Dr.Ray had a caller on yesterday, a cop, who actually said he'd NEVER have it. He finds very sad and deeply disturbing things involving My Space when on calls.

Still, let the GOOD infiltrate the evil and someone out there may just convert and be made new by Christ for Catholics on the net. But guard your heart and your eyes!

August 21, 2007 7:40 AM  
Blogger Amber said...

IMHO, myspace should be used only by adults. I have a friend who's son, age 11, has a myspace page. I was appalled she would allow this. She said, "Well, if I don't let him, he'll sneak and do it anyway. At least this way I can see what's going on."

My children's computer only has wireless access to the internet when I plug it in. The "connection" hangs on a string around my neck, in my purse, or some other hidden location. Of course, they're still young, so they believe Yahooligans! is the only website in the world. There is no way I'd permit my kids to get on myspace as long as I know about it. I don't get on it myself when they're in the room.

August 21, 2007 10:44 AM  
Blogger Adoro said...

I know a solid religious Sister who is on MySpace, and she indeed has a following, which is great.

There's also a wonderful priest also on MySpace.

Personally, I don't like their setup so I have no interest in an account there, but then again, it seems that this is an area of the blogosphere that seems to be largely avoided by the faithful. Perhaps it's time we step up and perhaps cross-post, link to those we know are faithful, etc., and do what we do here.

I do think people have converted thanks to the internet...and in fact, I know of a story.

A friend of mine used to attend a dissenting parish and for awhile they had a web forum. Of course local faithful Catholics descended and began to provide solid Catholic teaching. Not long after, the forum was shut down; they only wanted yes-men who supported dissent and their own version of religion by committee.

But the truth made her reevaluate her position, she began looking to some of the quoted resources, foudn them intelligent, consistent...and true.

This person one day e-mailed me and told me she wanted to provide encouragement; because it was people such as me, EWTN, and other faithful Catholic bloggers who were helping her to see the errors in the religion she practiced that claimed to be Catholic...but wasn't.

She was Confirmed Catholic this spring. God bless her!

Yes, the internet has a positive effect, and speaking for myself, it helped me come home, too. I found people who could answer my questions, who didn't laugh at them, who didn't make me feel inferior, and even who identified with my crisis. After several Catholic forum discussions and a lot of support (and likely prayers!) I went to Confession, and came home.

I don't think my conversion/reversion would have happened the way it did without the internet.

And now I'm entering a Grad program in very faithfl Catholic Theology, and applying to work in churches in faith formation. Who woulda thunk it?

August 21, 2007 9:48 PM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

wow Adoro!
Very neat story.
Maybe I'll post a blog about how the internet has brought people back to the Church. Cool idea.

God knows, there are a gazillion sites trying to drag people out!
They usually have photo pics of the pope in hell and stuff like that. Not sure that would make me want to join their assembly.

August 21, 2007 11:00 PM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

Amber
What a most excellent Mom you are!
I wish my kids never had access when they were young. I was too naive to realize the stuff they ventured into.
God have mercy.

August 21, 2007 11:02 PM  

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis