Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Not Another Tiber Crossing!

When I came back to the Church in 2004, one of the first individuals I met in my parish was a convert himself from a Brethren in Christ background. He had gone to Elizabethtown College in PA where he met his wife-to-be who was Catholic, and after a period of time, he saw the light and converted. He has since become a leader in the RCIA program of our parish. He recently shared with me the news of the conversion of his former assistant pastor.

Dr. David Hall of Elizabethtown Brethren in Christ Church gave his farewell sermon in March of 2007 after 18 years of pulpit ministry there. You can listen to it here.
Dr. Hall has impressive credentials and his conversion will be difficult to dismiss as a "lack of sound theological teaching."

Senior Pastor - Elizabethtown Brethren in Christ Church
B.A., Hobe Sound Bible College
M.A., Columbia International University
M.T.S., Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
D.Min., Eastern Baptist Theological Seminary

Messiah College is affiliated with this church so his conversion will have tremendous repercussions. Lord willing, it will cause many there to consider the claims of Catholicism.

Pray for Dr. Hall as he tells his story on The Journey Home on Jan 14th at 8 PM EST.

8 Comments:

Blogger Fr. J. said...

Thanks for the heads up. I had not hear of Dr. Hall before. Am eager to hear his story.

BTW, nice blog.

January 02, 2008 8:02 PM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

Thanks Father. I always feel blessed and humbled when a priest visits my blog ! God bless you!

January 02, 2008 8:27 PM  
Blogger owenswain said...

There's a book more people should be reading. It's called The Tied Is Turning Toward Catholicism and news like you've shared is the reason why.

January 02, 2008 9:31 PM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

Thanks OBOY! I posted on this book before, here.
Yes you are one of those ex-pastors too!
When are we going to see you on Journey Home Canada?
God bless

January 02, 2008 9:42 PM  
Blogger Joyful Catholic said...

I would love to see Onion Boy on TJH! Will be praying for Dr. Hall. Please pray for our former pastor, Les B. I get "impressions" and an 'inner knowing' that it won't be all that long before he'll be 'jumpin' the Tiber.' Much turmoil at our former church/fellowship. Loss of many to other flocks. He visited one monastery in Louisiana over a year ago, and maybe another one in California the last summer, I heard. AND he had a peek into the Church Fathers I also heard. I HOPE and PRAY for him/his wife, whose battling breast cancer, that they'll not be long in coming back Home and into full communion w/ Holy Mother Church. I ask your readers' prayers as well. Thanks.

January 02, 2008 11:11 PM  
Blogger owenswain said...

"Yes you are one of those ex-pastors too! When are we going to see you on Journey Home Canada?
God bless"

Apparently they are aware of me. My spiritual director asked permission to tell them about me. I am a member (or was a year ago) but there's not a lot of contact with us Canadian verts. I only agreed to let my SD notify them because he is my SD. Whatever God wills, his miseries are luminous.

January 03, 2008 10:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think there were at least one or two Journey Home episodes this past year of which the guests were Canadian.

It's one of my favourite can't-miss programs on EWTN.

January 03, 2008 10:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting news. Regarding your comment about Messiah College, I read recently that more than a dozen of its faculty are Catholics, so I do not know what the impact of Dr. Hall's conversion will be on the campus itself. As someone raised in the Brethren in Christ Church who also recently crossed the Tiber, I look forward to hearing the interview with Dr. Hall

January 04, 2008 10:47 AM  

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis