Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Faith, Hope and Love

These three virtues are known as the "theological virtues." Father John Hardon SJ, in his Catholic Prayer Book wrote these questions below that each of us can ask ourselves daily as an examination of conscience with the virtues as a guiding principle.
Why do I need a checklist? Because, I tried it the other way for 31 years, "trusting the Lord, walking in the Spirit" and, quite honestly, doing whatever I felt the Lord was leading me to do. If I perform an examination like this on a regular basis, it keeps me honest with myself and God. It was too easy in the past for me to "move the goalposts" when I use to fly by the seat of my pants or emotions in attempting to live the Christian life. Quite frankly, before I was Catholic, I didn't think too much about the virtues nor did I regularly examine my conscience. I am so thankful for the tools the Church gives us to live out our faith.`

Faith

Do I make an honest effort to grow in the virtue of faith by daily mental prayer on the mysteries of the faith, as revealed in the life of Jesus Christ?

Do I make at least a short act of faith* every day?

Do I pray daily for an increase in faith?

Do I ever tempt God by relying on my own strength to cope with the trials in my life?

Do I unnecessarily read or listen to those who oppose or belittle what I know are truths of my Catholic Faith?

What have I done today to externally profess my faith?

Have I allowed human respect to keep me from giving expression to my faith?

Do I ever defend my faith, prudently and charitably, when someone says something contrary to what I know is to be believed?

Have I helped someone overcome a difficulty against the faith?

Hope

Do I immediately say a short prayer when I find myself getting discouraged?

Do I daily say a short act of hope?

Do I dwell on my worries instead of dismissing them from my mind?

Do I fail in the virtue of hope by my attachment to the things of this world?

Do I try to see God's providence in everything that "happens" in my life?

Do I try to see everything from the viewpoint of eternity?

Am I confident that, with God's grace, I will be saved?

Do I allow myself to worry about my past life, and thus weaken my hope in God's mercy?

Do I try to combine every fully deliberate action with at least a momentary prayer for divine help?

How often today have I complained, even internally?

Charity

Have I told God today that I love Him?

Do I tell Jesus that I love Him with my whole heart?

Do I take the occasion to tell God that I love Him whenever I experience something I naturally dislike?

Have I capitalized on the difficulties today to tell God that I love Him just because He sent me the trial or misunderstanding?

Do I see God's love for me in allowing me to prove my love for Him in the crosses He sent me today?

Have I seen God's grace to prove my love for Him in every person whom I met today?

Have I failed in charity by speaking unkindly about others?

Have I dwelt on what I considered someone's unkindness toward me today?

Is there someone that I consciously avoid because I dislike the person?

Did I try to carry on a conversation today with someone who is difficult to talk to?

Have I been stubborn in asserting my own will?

How thoughtful have I been today in doing some small favor for someone?

Have I allowed my mood to prevent me from being thoughtful of others today?

Am I given to dwelling on other people's weaknesses or faults?

Have I been cheerful today in my dealings with others?

Do I control my uncharitable thoughts as soon as they arise in my mind?

Did I pray for others today?

Have I written any letters today?

Have I controlled my emotions when someone irritated me?

Have I performed any sacrifice today for someone?

*O MY GOD, I firmly believe that Thou art one God in Three Divine Persons, Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I believe that Thy Divine Son became Man, and died for our sins, and that He will come to judge the living and the dead. I believe these and all the truths which the Holy Catholic Church teaches, because Thou hast revealed them, Who canst neither deceive nor be deceived.

1 Comments:

Blogger Joyful Catholic said...

It's like we get on this 'same page' even when I've not been to your blog in a few weeks. Amazing. Faith hope and love. They'll see us through it all, from hell to high water to highest heaven. I've prayed for an increase of these virtues so much lately, and will copy this fine post to send to Fr. G. Thanks, TJ.

May 19, 2008 12:45 AM  

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis