Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Thursday, July 17, 2008

CNN's Review of Pope Benedict's First Address

"Pope decries damage to the environment." so says CNN today.

Somehow I think the Holy Father intended his address to say more than more than the thumbnail sketch drawn by CNN implies.

Did they miss this part of the speech?

" How can it be that the most wondrous and sacred human space – the womb – has become a place of unutterable violence? My dear friends, God’s creation is one and it is good. The concerns for non-violence, sustainable development, justice and peace, and care for our environment are of vital importance for humanity. They cannot, however, be understood apart from a profound reflection upon the innate dignity of every human life from conception to natural death: a dignity conferred by God himself and thus inviolable."

My headline would have read:

"Pope says care for our environment must not take precedent over the innate dignity of human life"


2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Early on in my Catholic days I would make the mistake of criticizing the Vatican over issues like this only to realize that it was simply the media's spin on it.

This isn't a small spin, it is idolatrous in nature. It takes what is good and holy and perverts it. I love what Chesterton said (not an exact quote "Idolatry consists not only in setting up false gods but in setting up false devils..."

(Idolatry is making men afraid of damaging the environment when they should be afraid of losing their soul). Or perhaps making men concerned about killing a few endangered animals when they should be concerned about mothers hiring professionals to murder their children.

July 18, 2008 2:37 PM  
Blogger Joyful Catholic said...

You got that right, TJ! Amen bro!

July 18, 2008 5:01 PM  

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis