Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Our Lady Of Lourdes


Today the Church celebrates the appearance of Mary to Bernadette Soubirous in the 19th century. The fruit of this appearance was a massive renewal among the faithful that spread worldwide and continues to this day.
When I was a non-Catholic Christian, I assumed these must have been satanic in origin or fraudulent because I refused to believe that God would or could allow these things. Yet, at the same time, I gave creedence to those in my fellowship who claimed to have dreams, visions and prophetic utterances directly from God*. (including those who claimed that God told them when the Lord would return)
Why did I find it so easy to accept these "apparitions" or visions that individuals had as valid, and yet completely refuse to accept apparitions of Mary that often changed the course of history in a positive way? (ie Our Lady of Guadaulpe which ended infant sacrifice among the Indians of Mexico and 9 million conversions to Christianity from paganism)
These Church- approved apparitions of Mary have always had the effect of increasing piety and devotion to Christ, since the nature of the apparitions was to focus on Jesus and
"Do whatever He tells you to do." (John 2:5)

*I must admit, the first time I heard a prophecy in our little prayer group, the prophet started by saying "I am the Lord Your God..." I was immediately "creeped out" and stuck my fingers in my ears so I wouldn't hear it because I thought it blasphemous. I felt it was terribly wrong and had no sense of peace about these prophecies.
I think that was the Lord telling me then: "Get thee to back to the Catholic Church"
Of course the gift of prophecy exists in the Catholic Church where all the gifts continue to reside, but they must be "vetted" and in the appropriate setting, and not for the self-interests of the one manifesting the gift.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You and PD might be interested to know that today marks the 25th anniversary of the release of John Paul II's letter on the Christian meaning of suffering, Salvifici Doloris, appropriately on the memorial of Our Lady of Lourdes in 1984. A great document and one of the first papal documents I read while I was still a Pentecostal ... and look what happened.

February 11, 2009 8:02 PM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

thanks so much Nancy
I think I will blog about it! BTW, have you ever written up your conversion story anywhere? I'd like to hear it someday, if u want to share it.
God bless.

February 11, 2009 8:37 PM  
Blogger George Weis said...

Yikes! I think it is completely ridiculous for some folks to shriek at Mary apparitions and not so freaked at what you mentioned from your days in the Charismatic realm.

I often have come across these kind of folks, and their *words from God* are just plain silly most times. I wish I could act out this one particular instance that I am recalling... I was with these folks and then all the sudden out comes the most non-biblical usage of the "gift of prophesy". Again, I am not against the idea of the gift, but a clear misuse abounds in the Pentecostal camp (along with a slew of other oddities).

I am not comfy with the Mary Apparitions, but these things are no more creepy (and even less) than what I have encountered with the Chaz-folk :) God love them anyway! They tend to be zealous, but often misguided.

Blessings in the name of Christ our Lord!

-g-

February 12, 2009 7:40 PM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

The folks who had a "word from God" for me always made me nervous. It seems that God always gave them messages to correct/direct other people but never themselves!

February 13, 2009 8:13 AM  
Blogger George Weis said...

I think the words "the Lord/God told me..." are dangerous words to utter and should be said with utmost trembling. We all feel "lead" at times to do and say things, but we must be careful how we say such a thing. I in general say "I feel lead to...", but only time will tell if it is truth from God or if it is merely my own mind talk or hearts uttering. I don't want to put words in God's mouth!

-g-

February 13, 2009 10:42 AM  

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis