Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Sunday, January 17, 2010

Satan Objects to Pat Robertson's Comments

Regarding Pat Robertson's recent comments about Haiti's earthquake, apparently the devil didn't care for them. Check this out from the Minneapolis Star Tribune:

"Dear Pat Robertson,

I know that you know that all press is good press, so I appreciate the shout-out. And you make God look like a big mean bully who kicks people when they are down, so I'm all over that action.

But when you say that Haiti has made a pact with me, it is totally humiliating. I may be evil incarnate, but I'm no welcher. The way you put it, making a deal with me leaves folks desperate and impoverished.

Sure, in the afterlife, but when I strike bargains with people, they first get something here on earth -- glamour, beauty, talent, wealth, fame, glory, a golden fiddle. Those Haitians have nothing, and I mean nothing. And that was before the earthquake. Haven't you seen "Crossroads"? Or "Damn Yankees"?

If I had a thing going with Haiti, there'd be lots of banks, skyscrapers, SUVs, exclusive night clubs, Botox -- that kind of thing. An 80 percent poverty rate is so not my style. Nothing against it -- I'm just saying: Not how I roll.

You're doing great work, Pat, and I don't want to clip your wings -- just, come on, you're making me look bad. And not the good kind of bad. Keep blaming God. That's working. But leave me out of it, please. Or we may need to renegotiate your own contract.

Best, Satan"

5 Comments:

Blogger George Weis said...

"But when you say that Haiti has made a pact with me, it is totally humiliating. I may be evil incarnate, but I'm no welcher. The way you put it, making a deal with me leaves folks desperate and impoverished.

Sure, in the afterlife, but when I strike bargains with people, they first get something here on earth -- glamour, beauty, talent, wealth, fame, glory, a golden fiddle."

I wouldn't say that a pact with the Devil would necessarily make someone wealthy. He doesn't have one way of doing his thing, but a plethora of tools to ultimately keep people from God.

Now, Pat going out and saying stuff like that... ugh! I hope his shoes fits into his mouth. It is a scary thing to say "God did this because..." I pray he is correct, because otherwise he will find shame at the throne of God for that :(

Our response... love and giving.

Thanks for calling my attention to this BTW. I am TV-less, so I often don't know what is happening in the world in regard to this.

Blessings in Christ our Lord,
-g-

January 17, 2010 7:59 PM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

Robertson's comments struck me as particularly cruel and insensitive. I know many Haitians who love Jesus more than any of us and manifest that by a faith that is unmoved by poverty, illness and unending misery. None of us can hold a candle to them. So this talk about Haiti bearing the fruit of a pact with the devil is so wrong , inappropriate and very horrific for me to hear.
A pastor of an evangelical church in PAP who was my friends and translator for 11 years died under the rubble of his house leaving four children and a wife when the earthquake struck. He labored in his church for no fee, and never took a salary. Pat Robertson should spend a day in Haiti and walk in the shadows of these godly folks before he makes comments about the devil and such.
A good penance for him would be to part with much of his worldly wealth to give to the folks in Haiti. They have lived like Lazarus
and he has lived like the rich man. Just sayin'.

January 17, 2010 9:59 PM  
Blogger George Weis said...

Not disagreeing with you there my friend. I was just trying to make a comment on the article. Satan is clever, he doesn't always pull a Robert Johnson kinda deal, but also has people all wrecked up... like folks in the Ghettos of LA. People trapped in fear of waring gangs... they don't leave their block in fear of getting shot up. So, my point is not to say what Robertson said was good... NO! Robertson takes a very large leap by saying that. His response should have been nothing but love and a heart to help these dear souls... be they devout Christians or be they voodoo dooers. The call of a Christian is to lift the burden and help carry the load with a heart full of love.

Hope that came accross clearly.

Love you brother,
-g-

January 18, 2010 7:58 AM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

Dont' worry George, I'm just a little over sensitive right now. God bless

January 18, 2010 8:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Doctrinal issues aside... that was awesome!

January 22, 2010 1:44 PM  

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis