Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Rich Mullins: Lover of God

Yesterday was the 14th anniversary of Rich's death. In many ways I feel Rich has been a part of my journey to Catholicism. I was a medical student in 1982 when I received my first hammer dulcimer.
Within a year or two, I had recorded my first Christian song incorporating the hammer dulcimer.(using a Teac 4 track cassette recorder) I thought I was unique. Then I found out about Rich Mullins. He had been doing it already, but much better and his song writing was amazing. I must admit, I was a little jealous realizing that Rich "had it" and I really didn't "have it."  I kept playing music in the church, writing songs and studying to be a doctor.
   After going to Haiti, Deborah and I became interested in voluntary simplicity.( I left my private solo practice, sold our 4 bedroom home, lots of instruments, went to work part time, etc) The writings of this movement were mostly secular from an economic point of view, but some of the books were written from a spiritual point of view. Father Dubay's Happy Are You Poor, was one that I read but I did it holding my nose because it was "so Catholic."  We also watched Rich's video Homeless Man, and were moved by his spirituality, and this time not turned off by his obvious Franciscan spirituality.

A few years after this, I entered the Catholic Church. The long story is here.
Even though Rich wasn't the only inspiration for my return to the faith, I do believe his prayers were ascending to the throne of God for me. I think Rich has a heart for hammer dulcimer players and a desire for all of us to become as close to God as possible. Knowing how tirelessly he ministered in this life, I can't imagine for a second that he is in heaven just sitting around playing a golden hammer dulicmer. Like Sts. Pio and Therese of Lisiuex I am sure he is "spending his heaven doing good on earth."
Rich, keep praying for us!

1 Comments:

Blogger Brian Sullivan said...

I don't know, Russ. Seems like a golden hammer dulcimer wouldn't sound very good! Maybe one of acacia or olive wood? <:-)>

September 20, 2011 9:11 AM  

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis