Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Friday, December 16, 2011

An Evangelical Lawyer Converts to Catholicism

"The Church's position on artificial contraception made so much sense and was so consistent with everything I believed about God's love for us that I began to wonder how the Catholic Church explained its other doctrines that I'd always rejected. Thus began a years-long investigation of the teachings of the Catholic Church. What I discovered utterly surprised me. All of my Protestant assumptions and prejudices were completely wrong--whether the issue was the Mass, the other sacraments, the celibacy of the priesthood, the papacy, or (that ultimate stumbling block for many Protestants) the Blessed Virgin Mary, the Mother of God."

This is the story of Jason and his wife Nikki.(I have blogged about them before) They were received into the Church this past summer. His story is very compelling as he realizes that he couldn't and shouldn't be the arbiter of what are the correct doctrines to believe. When he read GK Chesterton's Orthodoxy, he knew his faith was not exactly what Chesterton was talking about, but he couldn't put his finger on it. Ultimately, the Church teachings on artificial contraception resonated with he and his wife and they looked to see what else this Church said about itself. You know where that lead.


He blogs at the Roman Road.

Once again,  I see many lawyers, doctors, philosophers and intellectuals converting to the faith once they discover what Catholicism says about itself, vs. what others say it's about.   Sure there are plenty of Catholics going the other way, but the majority of their stories reflect the fact that they had no idea about the faith they were leaving for Protestantism.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis