Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Friday, December 09, 2011

Review of the Movie, The Great Miracle

A 3D animated movie about the Catholic Mass has hit the big screen in limited distribution. My wife and I were lucky enough to live near where it was playing.
It was fitting that the movie is released on the feast day of Saint Juan Diego and right before before the Feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe because it was written and produced by Dos Corazones Productions , a Mexican film production company.

Here's my review of The Great Miracle . This was a well-done 3D animated movie, the purpose of which, was to allow the viewers to really understand what is going on during the Catholic mass. The concept of the mass being a sacrifice has been somewhat under-emphasized in the past 40 years of American Catholicism, but this movie helps the viewer to see the mass is really all about Christ's sacrifice (not re-crucifying him) but re-presenting His sacrifice to the Father and our participation by offering up our sorrows, joys, fears, tears and petitions in union with His offering to the Father. I don't want to spoil it, but let me say this, there is more solid theology packed into this movie than what many of us had absorbed in years of CCD in the 60's and 70's.
There are some scenes of demons and purgatory that the youngest viewers could find scary but I doubt it is beyond anything most kids have seen these days. The beauty and power of the sacraments of confession and the Eucharist is highlighted as well as the role of our Blessed Mother as a powerful intercessor.

My wife said this movie should be a pre-requisite for any child about to receive their first Holy Communion. I say that anyone interested in what the Catholic mass is about should see it and all Catholics who want to re-vitalize their faith should see it. So a big thumbs up from me for The Great Miracle! On its opening night in the Allentown area, we were the only two people in the theater. By the end of this weekend I hope and pray that will change.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis