Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Do the Baptists Need a Magisterium?

With Jimmy Carter's new book  about the Bible we see how his private interpretation of it gives him the right and authority to justify homosexual unions. No one in his denomination can tell him he is wrong! Why? Because he left Southern Baptists when they disagreed with his interpretation and joined another sect of baptists that allow for his interpretation.  " I’m a Baptist, and I believe that each congregation is autonomous and can govern its own affairs. So if a local Baptist church wants to accept gay members on an equal basis, which my church does by the way, then that is fine. If a church decides not to, then government laws shouldn’t require them to."    (By the way, the Catholic faith accepts "gay" members as well, they just don't condone the lifestyle or approve of homosexual unions)
   There's no arguing with former President Jimmy Carter when it comes to his interpretation of the Bible. This is how he believes God is leading him to interpret it. Once again, without a magisterium, an individual with his personal interpretation of the bible essentially becomes his own pope and magisterium. If you don't believe it, just look at the thousands of sects that all believe they each, individually have the most correct and accurate interpretation of scripture.

2 Comments:

Blogger Magister Christianus said...

Oh, my. I am probably going to have to post on this myself. Even the HuffPo combox seems to know Mr. Carter's position is untenable.

March 21, 2012 8:05 PM  
Blogger Magister Christianus said...

Okay, the post is here: http://bedlamorparnassus.blogspot.com/2012/03/who-is-jimmy-carter.html. Thanks for letting us know about this.

March 21, 2012 9:12 PM  

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis