Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Monday, July 16, 2012

Christianity and Conformity

There is a great post here on 10 Reasons Why Catholicism is "Crazy Cool."  The most appealing to me, being a hippie at heart, is the non-conformist aspect of our faith, echoed in the words of Fulton Sheen on my last post. (As an adolescent, I kept a copy of Thoreau's Civil Disobedience under my bed for a time) I never liked to "go with the grain" and thought, at the time, that my new-found evangelical protestant faith was counter-cultural. I enjoyed being called "Jesus freak" in high school and my group of friends were definitely on the fringe of the crowd in those days.
    However, it now appears that much of American evangelicalism has firmly embraced and imbibed the culture in many ways over the past 30 years.  I have noted this as both a participant and observer. Examples of this are, the faith and prosperity teachings, the rash of explicit sex books by pastors lowering the marital embrace to a self-seeking pleasure sport, the entertainment-oriented nature of what used to be Sunday worship and young evangelicals questioning the definition of marriage and going silent on the abortion issue.  American Christianity has gone Hollywood. I want a Christianity that never leaves the wood of the Cross.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis