Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Monday, December 31, 2012

"Sola Mia Papa" - The Fruit of the Reformation


Here is an excellent review of  the historical and scriptural evidence for the papacy and its location in Rome, Italy. Since the reformation, people have attempted to downplay the role of the papacy and the geographical city of Rome as the locus centrali of Christendom. Why? Because if there is no proof that Rome was the original location and seat of the "thing" called a papacy, you can then attempt to dismantle the belief that Christ instituted a physical, visible Church that happened to develop its locus in the center of the ancient world and remain there for 2000 years. (give or take a few decades when the papacy moved to Avignon)
   If there is no location for a papacy, then, maybe there was no papacy, and without a papacy..... one can become their own pope to fill the vacuum, which is essentially the ultimate consequence of the reformation. The ultimate fruit of Luther's new construct "Sola scriptura"  was the support and development of the doctrine of "Sola Mi Papa" which roughly translates into "I am my own pope."
Yes, I realize it's a bit an oversimplification, but at the end of the day or even at the end of 500 years, this is what you get when you separate the Church from the Scriptures. "Every plowboy can become his own pope" was a common saying in the days after 1517.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not sure I can trust a man who uses photoshop.

:)

Pat Vandapool

December 31, 2012 8:21 PM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

Pat, You are the Czarist when it comes to PS! thanks for visiting. God bless your New Year.

December 31, 2012 8:26 PM  
Anonymous Gina Nakagawa said...

13362That depends on who it is that is doing the "Photoshopping." i'll trust you, Russ.

December 31, 2012 9:07 PM  
Blogger kkollwitz said...

Years ago I read a satirical poem from centuries ago about every dolt who could read English being his own Pope. I think it was written by an Anglican, but have not been able to locate it.

December 31, 2012 10:37 PM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

I think William Tyndale made a comment with the context of the plowboy knowing more scripture than the pope and perhaps that is where this later comment came from?

December 31, 2012 10:41 PM  
Blogger kkollwitz said...

Yes, he did, and I think this poem I'm recalling was a Catholic or at least hierarchical riposte based on Tyndale's remark.

January 02, 2013 10:32 AM  

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis