Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

My Personal Experience With the Health and Wealth Gospel


A "faith and prosperity" Christian recently posted a link on "Catholics Are Christians!" fb group regarding his mega-church and extolling the wonderful teachings of his pastor Joseph Prince. Joseph Prince is the "Joel Osteen" of the Orient and derives his teachings from the heretical Tulsa preachers like Kenneth Hagin and Kenneth Copeland. This led to several exchanges where I attempted to get this dear brother to think about why he believed what he believed and how did he know his theology was correct.  I did not get him to see my perspective but it did open some old wounds that I personally experienced from my eight-year foray into the health and prosperity teachings while I was a Protestant. (I pray I was not too harsh responding to him.)
     For the sake of some of my readers who don't know my story, I have excerpted sections from my story of conversion below. I would like to illustrate how the Faith and Prosperity teachings and our adherence to them robbed my wife and I of the one thing we needed the most: Truth, and the grace to carry the cross our Lord graciously and lovingly handed us. My wife was diagnosed with a rare lung cancer at 28 years of age while still nursing a 6 month old. Here's my story:


My wife of three years was diagnosed with an extremely rare in-operable lung cancer when she was 28. At the time I was an intern in an extremely grueling internal medicine residency in Philadelphia's inner city and we had a 6 month old child she was still nursing. There were only thirty other recorded cases in the world's medical literature. She was told there was no cure or treatment but she may possibly remain without symptoms for a time before dying but it was eventually uniformly fatal. We were bolstered by a loving group of folks from our charismatic church who shared with us that "God can heal if you only have enough faith." We embraced this theology whole-heartedly and pursued her healing for the next 8 years. We attended healing meetings, exorcisms, fasting and prayer and I began fasting Tuesday evenings to Thursday mornings for several years to obtain her healing from God. We sought out nationally known charismatic preachers with healing ministries and had several exorcisms performed on our house and ourselves.

We were blessed with another boy a few years later. We coped with life by never talking about the possibility of her dying. We lived as if she would be healed. The problem with this was that it took an enormous amount of energy to muster this "faith talk" all the time and it was taking its toll on our marriage. Rather than confronting problems in our relationship, we would put them aside and continue to press for the healing. Seeking her healing became the focus of our lives and as a result, we were in denial about all the other problems that occur in any marriage, cancer notwithstanding. For me, it felt like a constant "sword of Damocles" hanging over my head for 8 of the 11 years we were married, but I could not tell my wife my true feelings. Most of my close friends were believing that her healing was forthcoming and I could not open up to them about how I really felt. Once I tried to tell a close friend how absolutely terrified and sad I was and he kindly said, "Don't worry, she will be healed." I appreciated his vote of confidence but I needed someone to share my pain and fear with. This was one of the most intensely lonely and difficult periods in my life. I took solace in knowing that Christ would never leave me or forsake us despite the fact that we were truly walking in the Valley of the Shadow of Death. I could not share Scriptures with my wife or others about the valley of the shadow of death because it would be "doubting the healing."I started to secretly take comfort in the Scriptures that said "Not my will but thine" and God gave me His reassurance that He would be with us, whether my wife lived or died. I could not share this with her and instead would read aloud to her the Scriptures that said "By His stripes we are healed." We would both lay awake night after night with her in agony and me holding back tears as I watched her die. I just wanted to hold her and say "I love you and hate to see you go through this but we will be okay because He will carry us through this." I longed to just be able to tell her how I felt about our life together but I couldn't because she would have interpreted that as "losing faith." Instead of having precious discussions about our children, our families, our Lord and His love, we listened to "faith preacher" tapes over and over again throughout the night. This bad theology we embraced ended up hurting us terribly and denied us the ability to be honest with ourselves, our children and our God.
     We were reading books and tracts about healing that were from an off-shoot of the charismatic movement called the Faith and Prosperity Preachers. Centered in Tulsa, Oklahoma, these teachers taught that Jesus heals everyone and if you don't get healed it must be your lack of faith. I realize now this actually was a twisted form of Christian Science and had its roots in one of the heresies dealt with by the early church. (Gnosticism)

About 4 months before she died, I had a distinct impression that God was telling me that the time was very short and she would die soon. It may have just been my medical instincts seeing her become more irritable and short of breath. At this time she was taking huge amounts of over the counter ibuprofen to deal with the pain but would not admit that she was in pain. We long ago both agreed to not pursue further diagnostic tests since they wouldn't "build our faith." About 4 weeks before she died, she was becoming severely ill and short of breath. We heard of a missionary with a healing ministry that was flying in from Africa who had been purported to raise people from the dead. Despite the worse ice and snow storm of that horrible winter of 93-94, I drove with her and my pastor and a friend in a van to Richmond Virginia to see if she could be healed through the ministry of this faith healer.
      The level of compassion that my church showed for us was beyond description and I will never forget the love and that was displayed for my wife and I at this time. The folks risked their lives to drive my wife over 250 miles on the eve of one of the worst storms of the season because they believed God would heal her. They also knew this is what she wanted as well. We saw many tractor trailers jack-knifed and cars that had skidded off the road on the way down. It turned out that the healer couldn't fly in due to the weather and we sadly drove all the way back taking almost two days for a six hour trip. At one point we were stuck in traffic for about 10 hours due to the storm. She was in absolute agony in the jostling van as we ran over potholes and ice on the highway. We stopped intermittently so I could give her injections of a powerful narcotic to relief her screams of agony.

        Shortly after this trip, my wife did pass away leaving me with a 4 and 7 year old who did not even realize she was sick since we never told them. I was devastated knowing that our faith did not give her the peace that was promised. Not because God didn't make it available, but we chose to mis-interpret the Scriptures. I knew, even as she was dying, that this theology was wrong and it denied the ability for us to even have an honest conversation about her dying. If there was ever a reason to not believe in private interpretation of Scripture, this was it. The Word of God wrongly applied and twisted out of context can be a cruel taskmaster.
( I want to make it clear to all the readers at this point, my wife and I willingly embraced and sought out this teaching and our charismatic church encouraged us in it, but we did not feel like this doctrine was forced on us. We chose it !)

      No one could give me an answer for why she died if she had such faith and many young people from our church were devastated. Two days after my wife died I received a phone call and a familiar voice that I hadn't heard for years was on the line. My Catholic friend from college, now an ordained Catholic priest heard that my wife died and tracked me down. I will never forget when I asked him why she had to suffer so much, and he said that "Jesus gives us the privilege of sharing his suffering." Father E. told me that Jesus stretched his arms out on the cross and said to my wife, "Sue, you come up with me and share my suffering." He then quoted St. Paul when he talked about completing in his body the suffering of Christ. (Colossians 1:23) I couldn't argue since it was Scripture and it was the only thing that gave me comfort in those difficult months after she died. I had never heard a Protestant talk about that verse and somehow missed it in all my years of personal Bible study. My theology didn't allow for suffering but this Scripture given to me by a Catholic priest made more sense than anything I had heard or experienced in the past 12 years. Since Christ our Redeemer had suffered should we too not be willing to take His yoke upon us and experience suffering? The Catholics call this "redemptive suffering' and it resonates with all of human experience.
    For the rest of the story of how I eventually came into the Catholic Church see my personal testimony on the left sidebar, but suffice it to say, I am living proof of why these faith and prosperity teachings are so damaging.

Jesus, my Lord and God, thank you so much for redeeming us by your suffering and redeeming suffering for us!

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing this story - it was very moving. I have come across examples of this perverted health and wealth gospel in online prayer forums where people who are sick ask for prayers and the commanders very obviously believe that God would never allow one of His elect to suffer anything. It is so twisted; I am sure many Christians have lost their faith when they have not received the healing or the wealth they have asked for and feel entitled to. It seems to me that the only churches which have a proper spiritual understanding of suffering are the Catholic and Orthodox.

God bless.

Lydia

January 30, 2013 5:41 AM  
Anonymous susie said...

Guess I missed the conversation on CAC. Is it still there?

January 30, 2013 8:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing. It reminded me of my Mother in her last days. She was a wonderful, faithful Catholic. She died of ovarian cancer at age 89. She, no once complained of the pain and suffering. I know now that she "offered it up for the poor souls," because that is who my mother was. God bless you and your family.
Paula Prost

January 30, 2013 9:23 AM  
Blogger Devin Rose said...

Wow Russ, I didn't know this. God bless you and thank you for sharing it.

January 30, 2013 9:35 AM  
Blogger Shane Kapler said...

Russ, thank you for sharing so openly about such a difficult period. Reading your testimony brought back many memories of listening to and reading Kenneth Copeland and Kenneth Hagin as a teen. This was my first visit to your blog, and I certainly look forward to reading more of your story. God bless you!

January 30, 2013 10:35 AM  
Blogger Magister Christianus said...

Russ, I am so sorry for your loss and the absurdity of this teaching that caused such needless pain. Thank you for sharing this.

January 30, 2013 9:23 PM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

Thank you guys for your kind comments. I posted this in my original conversion story on the blog over 6 years ago now, but felt I needed to talk about it again. People don't realize how bad theology can really damage your life here as well as in the next life to come.
But I let it happen to us because we grabbed onto whatever we could in a desperate situation. Even in retrospect now, I am amazed that some level headed Christians didn't try to convince us of how wrong this was. But you know how it is, you surround yourself with like-minded believers and dissasociate from those who don't share the same doctrines. If I was Catholic at the time, I do believe things would have been different , but can only trust that God has his hand on our lives and my late wife is in heaven praying for me, my new wife and my boys. We tell our boys (now both grown men) you have three mothers! Two in heaven and one on earth!

January 31, 2013 8:40 AM  
Blogger Cindy Willmot said...

Dear Dr. Rentler,
Thank you so much for sharing this part of your life and your sadness. I believe that Our Lord uses these sad times to open windows into our hearts so that we can finally hear and see the Truth. I, too, came to Catholicism through several Protestant sects over 15 years ago. I am still having to re-examine the theological lies I believed for so long. I am extremely grateful to Our Lord and the Blessed Virgin that they have given me a good and holy Priest for my Confessor! May Our Lord continue to bless and send you graces, Dr.! Viva Cristo Rey!

January 31, 2013 8:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The real tragedy is that the prosperity teaching cause so many people to lose their faith, because they had seen unanswered prayers. Some even go so far as to deny medicine to minors (though that's rare), which gives the whole idea of faith healing a questionable reputation, despite the huge numbers of people God does heal. I'm a former prosperity-teaching believer too, though I always had some reservations about it. I think the health-and-wealth preaching type and the no-real-miracles-anymore type drive each other, each reacting against the other. Balance is the key.

February 01, 2013 8:25 PM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

God has been healing miraculously for millennia . As Catholics we believe and pray for miraculously healing but trust Him for the answer, not my will but yours.

February 01, 2013 8:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dr. Rentler, your (his)tory is heart-wrenching, and I hesitate to say anything that would detract from what you've written; but, would it not be theologically more correct and even spiritually more consoling to say that [your sons] have three mothers: one in the Church Triumphant, one among the Church Suffering, and one from the Church Militant? As a former protestant myself, I remember the difficulty of the firm belief in purgatory as the normal means of purification after death and before heaven. For what it's worth to you and yours ... God bless you in any case.

February 02, 2013 10:13 AM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

Dear Anon: thanks for reading my story. I think you could be right, but then again I suspect their earthly birth mother (Sue) may now actually be in heaven (vs purgatory)with the Church Triumphant. Either way, they have three mothers praying for them! Is that a great benefit or what?
Thanks for coming by.

February 02, 2013 10:56 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

Thank you for sharing this story. I'm so sorry you were a victim to such twisted teaching.

February 03, 2013 8:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks
I think we should focus on the devil's final moves to rip as much souls as possible - homosexuality and the like.
There are still so much souls to be won - if we are true believers that we profess to be

February 05, 2013 4:25 PM  

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis