Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Thursday, October 12, 2006

Working Out My Salvation With a Little Fear and Some Trembling


Some of my posts recently may have been viewed as polemic and answering back "tit" for "tat" when I get an unkind commenter. Yes, I am still "working out my salvation" and part of that process for me has been attempting to explain Catholicism and dispel the false legends and mythology that is so ever present in the hearts and minds of many Christian folks who have not been presented the facts. Most of these posts address misconceptions that I myself personally held against the Catholic Church! So daily, I am in a state of both joy and shame once I discover the Truth behind the myths! I know I have been forgiven for my anti-Catholic ways over the years and He has separated my sins as far as the East is from the West. I still feel bad about the verbal abuse I gave to Father Robert Cofenas of Lehigh University when I was a "Radio-Bible Scholar" so Father if you are out there, forgive me!! (And give me a call will ya?)
Blogging about Catholicism is one small way for me to work out my salvation as St. Paul admonishes us as well as for me to correct the temporal consequences of my years away from the Church and dragging others away as well. You are watching a Catholic do actual penance when you read this blog! Not working for Jesus' forgiveness; that's already accomplished by Christ's death on the Cross, but I am still responsible for the temporal consequences of my sin, and this, my friends, is the meaning of "doing penance."

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmm...well TB, I hear so much humility in your posts..reading it encourages me to be Christlike. **** Humility is the road to purity and holiness - you're on the right path. We can actually be holy. (selah) God bless you.
Cyndi

October 12, 2006 6:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is the picture of you fearing or trembling?

October 12, 2006 6:30 PM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

Neither, It's me working out! :)

October 12, 2006 7:44 PM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

Dear Anon:
The sin of detraction is providing information, whether true or not, about someone with the intention of attempting to cause them hurt, pain or embarrassment.
I will remove your comment if you don't contact me off line to retract this and give you an opportunity to make amends for this accusation.

June 27, 2009 12:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually I'm curious about these charges as well. I can't find anything online about him, both past or present. I know he mysteriously left his parish near Reading several years ago. I was friends with him but got a very weird vibe.

September 08, 2009 9:20 PM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

anon, contact me offline please

September 08, 2009 10:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry but I don't see a way to contact you offline. Could you direct me please? Thanks.

September 09, 2009 5:40 PM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

Dear Anon:
please go to my links and go to crossed the tiber website
and click on the email link
thanks

September 09, 2009 6:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cofenas went poof, vanished. All attempts to find him have been fruitless. The Allentown diocese, last I checked, had no comment. If you hear anything, please post it.

March 12, 2010 12:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Passed away....left berks County many years ago as his pariah and Treston in Spring did not want any type of scandal

April 18, 2017 6:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Confenas was a sex abuser, I think he got put out to pasture and died in 2013.

January 16, 2018 5:48 PM  

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis