Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Blogospheric Beatitudes



Oftentimes, due to the zeal to defend our faith, we sadly lapse into *snarkiness*, sarcasm, condescension and downright vitriol. If our blogged words could kill, there would be many casualties of the religious wars of blogdom. The reality is, at some level there are casualties. Our Church believes there are very real and temporal consequences to our wrong actions and behaviors including grieving the Holy Spirit. The words we type on-line are not excluded from Christ's promise that they will be shouted from the housetops. Unfortunately, my own comments and posts are not entirely free of this. I am not proud to admit this nor do I look forward to the "This Was Your Life" tract of my darker moments, since we are definitely held accountable for the things we have done in this life, whether good or bad. So when I see interactions on the net that are examples of Christ's command to love your neighbor as yourself, I want to post about it!


My frequent commenter, Theo,
had been conversing on a blog that does not share his theological perspective. Check out the beatitudes shown here. Theo always ends his comments with:

Theo:

Humbly, I remain your brother in Christ,

Respondent:

As long as you cultivate a belief that you are justified by the merits of Christ, your congruent merit, and the congruent merit of others, you believe a false gospel, Theo, and you are no brother.


Theo :

Dear brother ****,

You wrote: "you believe a false gospel, Theo, and you are no brother."

I fully understand how your interpretation of Scripture and the theology you hold sacred forces you into this view. As I previously wrote in a different thread on this blogsite,
"...please understand that in spite of your theology, I recognize your Christianity, and as such, I deem you my brother... I know that you cannot call me ‘brother.’ Please understand that *my* best understanding of the Gospel mandates that I recognize you as ‘brother,’ nevertheless. You can disavow our fraternity in Christ. I cannot.

“Regardless, I'm confident that God's will shall be done. In the end, all is to God's Glory."

Humbly I remain your servant and brother in Christ,
--Theo

God bless Theo, he's a better man than I!

8 Comments:

Blogger Joyful Catholic said...

wow. well said, TJ. I hope my blog isn't laced with 'mean' or unkind words. It's a good reminder. I do get 'enthused' and can get 'emphatic at times, but it's not to demean or hurt someone, usually just not as thoughtful as I should be. However, there is the "Jerome" and "Cyril" side...that does have to be tempered by the Holy Spirit. I know my 'go to team' in Heaven is praying for me. Nothing wrong with zeal, but it better be tempered in love or you're one stinkin' clanging gong, eh?

Thanks and Theo, thanks, too!

June 27, 2007 10:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tiber Jumper, I find it interesting that you don't provide a URL or link to this conversation. The snippet you provided hints at a more volitile history in the conversation than you let on. Anyone can cherry-pick the rare civil comment. Yet anyone who looks at xtian blogsites knows that xtians can't help but damn one another faster than their god can.

June 27, 2007 11:34 PM  
Blogger Pilgrimsarbour said...

Having been a frequent recipient of Theo's gracious words, I concur wholeheartedly with your post.

June 28, 2007 12:26 AM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

Dear SkepCat:
If you e mail me privately, I will give you the URL so you can see for yourself that Theo's comments are always kind. But I wholeheartedly agree with you that on Christian blog sites you can see a whole lot of "damning one another faster than God can" and your comment, from what I assume is a non-theist position, should be taken very soberly by us Christians. Jesus said you will know a tree by the fruit it bears and you have rightly sniffed us out! Thanks for the comment.

June 28, 2007 8:04 AM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

PA, yes Theo's a rarity.

June 28, 2007 8:05 AM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

Joyful:
I think anyone can see from your blog that your enthusiasm far outweighs any deliberate snarki-ness.
I on the other hand....

June 28, 2007 8:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The conscience sirens are ON ....

"Toe cruncher message!!!"

God bless
Cyndi :D

June 28, 2007 9:03 PM  
Blogger Brother James said...

The coarser of apologists fancy themselves as modern Jeremiahs, Jeromes, and Athanasi (plural for Athanasius). And in the current climate of apostasy within the Church and without, it's understandable their sense of frustration and desperation to their ranting. Unfortunately, the mesasge may sound just fine to Cavedweelers, but it is shrill and incomprehensible to the wayward flock.

June 29, 2007 8:04 PM  

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis