Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Saturday, July 14, 2007

Blessed Kateri Tekakwitha


Today the Church honors a "Blessed." Not a saint officially yet, but on her way. Born to an Algonquin Indian mother in 1656 in Auriesville, NY, Kateri (Catherine) Tekakwitha was the first person born in North American to be beatified. After her baptism and conversion to Christianity, she took a vow of virginity which was the "kiss of death" for a young Indian woman. Marriage was the only means of survival in her culture at that time. She was treated as a slave among her own people because of her conversion. Eventually(with the advice of a priest) Kateri escaped 200 miles north to Montreal Canada where she lived out her short life in prayer, fasting and penance for the conversion of her people. At the time of her death at 24, the disfigurement from small pox on her face disappeared and a touch of a smile came to her lips. After her death, many miracles were attributed to her intercession and she was beatified by JP2 in 1980. Blessed Kateri become a source of inspiration for native American Catholics.

Kateri said: “I am not my own; I have given myself to Jesus. He must be my only love. The state of helpless poverty that may befall me if I do not marry does not frighten me. All I need is a little food and a few pieces of clothing. With the work of my hands I shall always earn what is necessary and what is left over I’ll give to my relatives and to the poor. If I should become sick and unable to work, then I shall be like the Lord on the cross. He will have mercy on me and help me, I am sure.”

Lord Jesus, give us the grace to take up our crosses (Lk. 9:23) and unite our suffering to yours (Col. 1:24) for the sake of the body of Christ. In your name we pray, Amen.

More on Blessed Kateri here.

1 Comments:

Blogger Joyful Catholic said...

I pray to this dear 'soon to be saint' for my friend, Teri, who even shares part of her name. We had a falling out over a year ago. She's 26 now, but has written me off. It wasn't even about religion, but just something dumb. I over reacted and she can't forgive. But she's in need of prayer. She's lived a very worldy and promiscuous life, so far, but is so very dear to my heart. Please lift her in prayer. It's my heart that our falling out didn't drive her further from Truth and the CC. Pray that she'll be led back home. I ask you fervent intercession, Blessed Kateri, for her precious soul.

July 16, 2007 7:17 AM  

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis