Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Saturday, July 07, 2007

I Was My Own Canonizer


On my recent post regarding St Maria Goretti, a commenter, Father R. asked about non-Catholic's take on saints and incorruptibles. (I think he was priming the pump a little bit here) I lifted and edited my response for this post.

Dear Father "R" :
When we were evangelical believers, we considered all believers saints based on Scripture, and in a sense, that is certainly true. Scriptures such as Psalm 34;9 and Romans 15:26 make reference to earthly believers as saints but the canonized saints represent those, who by the Petrine authority of binding and loosening are declared to be in heaven. The Church tells the faithful that these particular individuals are worthy of us following their example and venerating (honoring) them and asking them to pray to God on our behalf. We are not praising, worshiping idolizing, necromancing etc. etc., ad nauseum.

But I didn't accept or believe that the Catholic Church could or should make anybody "better" than anyone else via canonization. I thought; "who are they to tell us someone is definitely in heaven." Yet, as an evangelical Christian, I regularly judged people's salvation and was part of the "salvation police" often inquiring at the time of a tragic, untimely death, "Were they saved? - I don't think so brother... etc." In a sense I was acting as my own "Canonizer." (declaring someone to be worthy of heaven)

Individual Catholics, outside of papal authority, should never attempt to judge whether someone is "saved" or not, because, ultimately, that judgment is up to God. We believe in the promise of salvation, but like St. Paul, look towards heaven with a lively hope, not a surety. “That I may know Him and the power of His resurrection and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, THAT IF POSSIBLE I MAY ATTAIN THE RESURRECTION OF THE DEAD. NOT THAT I HAVE ALREADY OBTAINED THIS OR AM PERFECT; but I press on to make it my own….” Phil 3:8-14.


Yes, that's Arnold the Terminator from Judgement Day in the lens



4 Comments:

Blogger Joyful Catholic said...

Excellent post my fellow idolator!

Proud Prairie Papist

July 07, 2007 10:00 PM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

Thanks PPP:
I thought there'd be one person I could get a chuckle out of!
But I was floored when I just realized the other day, the incongruity of me always judging people's salvation, and yet at the same time accusing Catholics of the audacity to canonize saints which simply meant declaring that they were in heaven.
Now, please excuse me, there's a statue of St. Francis in my garden that is in much need of some homage. LOL

July 08, 2007 9:48 AM  
Blogger MMajor Fan said...

I always worried more about those folks who made themselves their own N-ikons ;-)

July 09, 2007 2:43 PM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

MMF:
Now that's funny!

July 09, 2007 4:22 PM  

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis