Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Monday, July 02, 2007

St. Oliver Plunkett


Today the Church remembers the heroic life and faith of Irish martyr, archbishop Oliver Plunkett. He secretly continued to preach, teach and support the Church in Ireland during a particularly violent period of Catholic persecution in Great Britain.

Archbishop Plunkett was arrested and imprisoned in Dublin Castle in 1679 and his trial, all of 15 minutes, occurred in London. He was found guilty of inciting rebellion and was hanged, drawn and quartered in July 1681.

It's interesting to me that Great Britain still has anti-Catholic law on its books. As you know, Tony Blair could not be a Catholic and be Prime Minister because it was against British law.

Any of my UK Catholics care to comment?

St. Plunkett, we ask you to intercede for those in the Church today who risk their lives to live and spread the faith.

5 Comments:

Blogger WhiteStoneNameSeeker said...

Actually there isn't a law saying the PM can't be Catholic; the law states that the monach cannot be. nevertheless I seriously doubt a Catholic would/could be voted into the office of PM. The level of anti-Catholicism here runs deep. While even a whiff of racism is met with horror, Iain Paisley has sat in Parliament with no one so much as mentioning the fact he is a ... well bigot to be frank.

The history of what Britain did to the Irish is long and brutal.
St Oliver pray for us.

July 02, 2007 3:25 PM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

Thanks WSNS!
I appreciate the clarification. I had gotten that info from a news item when his return to the Church was bandied about. Sorry bout that.
Does the anti-Catholicism tend to make for Catholicism to be more devoutly practiced in the UK?

July 02, 2007 5:17 PM  
Blogger Joyful Catholic said...

WOW...we're doing that "same page thing" again, TJ. I posted a bit of GOOD NEWS regarding the Brits yesterday. I heard from one who's husband is "in that number." PTL!

I didn't know they still had anti-Catholic laws on the books...and just heard a bit on Laura Ingraham yesterday about Tony Blair and his 'upcoming' conversion to the CC. Brits are across the pond are crossing the Tiber in droves now, as the Anglican church crumbles in front of their noses. I know this, if C.S. Lewis was on this earth today, he'd be Catholic in a heartbeat! Tolkein would be so pleased with that! : )

PAX,
susie

July 02, 2007 7:53 PM  
Blogger WhiteStoneNameSeeker said...

I would like to say that the anti-Catholicism does lead to a more vibrant Church life-but I don't think it does. On the whole there's apathy. But I think I do see signs of hope and change. I am friends we more Catholics now who actually practice their faith, or at least try to all week. I don't mean daily Mass, I mean living a Catholic life. There's a lot of cultural catholicism which has no real spiritual foundation. The anti-catholicism comes mainly from the media, but Tony Blair has pushed a lot of the anti-Catholic agendas from his govt such as forcing Catholic adoption agencies to give children to gay couples. he has also forced Catholic pharmacists into a very difficult situation over the morning after pill; pushing sex ed into Catholic schools; demanding Cathilic schools take 25% non Catholics...the list is endless.
If he converts his public apology should take a very long time indeed.

July 03, 2007 4:13 AM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

Again, I appreciate the comments!
Boy did I have TB wrong. I need to pray for him.
Joyful Catholic posted something on her blog about
more British coming into the Church.
Do you see that?
Sorry for all the questions
God bless

July 03, 2007 8:56 AM  

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis