Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Feast of St. Pius X


Today the Church celebrates a feast dedicated to the 259th Pope, St. Pius X. (1835-1914) He was canonized in 1954. As a young priest his zeal for the faith and holiness was noted by his Pastor who said: "They have sent me as curate a young priest, with orders to mold him to the duties of pastor; in fact, however, the contrary is true. He is so zealous, so full of good sense, and other precious gifts that it is I who can learn much from him. Some day or other he will wear the mitre, of that I am sure. After that—who knows?"
His pontificate was characterized by care for the poor and restoration of the liturgy and renewal of the Church. He died during the early days of WWI, some say as a result of his anxiety and heartsickness over the war. His epitaph reads:

"Born poor and humble of heart,
Undaunted champion of the Catholic faith,
Zealous to restore all things in Christ,
Crowned a holy life with a holy death."

St. Pius , pray for us. We have imbibed the evils of modernity you spoke against. Intercede for the restoration of the Church,
Through Christ we ask this,
Amen

4 Comments:

Blogger Adoro said...

He is one of my intercessors, and confirmed that today. I hope I can live up to his expectations.

August 21, 2007 9:40 PM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

Wow! I just really got into him today after reading about him after Mass . His exhortations about modernism were amazing
So many saints, so little time....

August 21, 2007 10:55 PM  
Blogger MMajor Fan said...

Thank you for the nice posting tiber! I have special fondness for him because he became Pope the year my father was born. One hundred and four years ago, wow!

August 21, 2007 11:36 PM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

15 years before my dad was born!

August 21, 2007 11:41 PM  

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis