Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

That Disturbing DeSales

I could imagine this as the headline in the local daily newspaper in Chablais during the evangelism campaign of St. Frances. I am sure he caused no small disturbance as he preached and ministered to an area that had been mostly Protestant for over 40 years. As I continue to read the tracts, Catholic Controversies, a pattern emerges. He attempts to get his reader to see the novelty of their religion compared with the antiquity of Catholicism. Since the reformation religions were no older than 80 years, this was not an unreasonable argument. He uses the unity of Catholic doctrine vs the diversity of doctrines that had already developed as a way to get his readers to question the value of sola scriptura. He also relied heavily on the writings of the Church fathers as we do today. He makes no apologies in insisting that Catholicism is the One True Church in continuity with Jesus and the teachings of the apostles.

I sometimes wonder how he was so successful using these arguments when nowadays they fall on deaf ears and are so easily dismissed as "sophistry."I have to realize that St. Francis DeSales was presenting arguments that some of the listeners had never heard before. Since the reformation was fairly new, perhaps the "mythology" of "false" Catholic beliefs had not yet become part of the culture. After all, there were no Chick tracts, or Gendrons then and Loraine Bottner's famous anti-Catholic encyclopedia had not been written yet. To be sure, there was Protestant literature and the reformers were prolific writers, but perhaps the anti-papist- colored glasses were not as widely available. Also at this time, everyone had relatives, grandparents etc in their genealogy who were Catholic and this may have had a salutory effect as well.

2 Comments:

Blogger Joyful Catholic said...

May St Frances DeSales pray for us. All of us bloggers need to be mindful of our writings and we pray that if only one precious soul out there, might consider the Catholic Church and proceed with further study because of anything they might read on a Catholic blog and thus convert....how glorious and wonderful that would be.

I know many more are watching and reading our blogs than we sometimes might think. I've not much intellectual power, not one degree behind my name, but I can sure tell my own story and it's our stories that will shine light on other hungry seekers of Truth.

I'm going to condense the reason I'm Catholic right here and now. It's been said a million times, but here's one million one.

I'm Catholic because it's TRUE.

Now it's up to a reader to find out for his or herself. Either the Church is who she claims to be, or she is not. Either she's the Church Jesus established on earth, or she is one diabolical cult. Either Jesus could hold His own Church together, protecting her from the corruption of the evil one, as he said he would do, or Jesus is a liar. What say you?

August 16, 2007 5:57 AM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

Yes, the trilemma posed by Peter Kreeft! Either she is the Church Christ started, or a diabolical cult of heretics. There is no middle ground.

August 18, 2007 10:46 AM  

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis