Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Sunday, December 30, 2007

The Full Gospel


"When I was an unexposed -to-Catholicism Evangelical, I lived as though life were about spreading the Gospel (i.e., instructions on how to become saved). Now, as an exposed-to-Catholicism Christian, I realize that life is about the Gospel (i.e., that God is Love). Living out the Gospel (vs. a focus on merely spreading it) will entail painful work until my life is complete. Before I sought rest and comfort in this life (since I had already checked off the "Saved" box). Now I seek to make my calling and election sure by satisfying my convictions to do Kingdom Work."
Thos from Ecumenicity

Many of us can relate to this comment by our non-Catholic brother. We thought the gospel was something to preach and "close the sale." Now being Catholic, I have gained an appreciation for the fuller definition and application of what the gospel is and what it demands of us. When I was a young teenage Christian (outside the Church) we looked for "full gospel" churches to fellowship with. Little did I realize at the time, that good old Notre Dame Church which I left was a Full Gospel Church!

8 Comments:

Blogger Jeff Miller said...

I like St. Joan of Arc's replay when asked if she was in the state of grace: "If I am not, may God put me there! And if I am, may God so keep me!"

Though ironically an Evangelicals question "Are you saved" shows a lack of understanding of scripture and salvation as a process and not a one time event. This is why St. Joan of Arc's is the perfect answer.

December 30, 2007 3:09 PM  
Blogger Tom B. said...

Jeff,

I love that quote, thanks! Or rather, I love the underlying condition of the heart (attitude). 'Assurance of salvation' should really be an assurance of the sufficiency of God's grace. That's not over-stating the case, and not encouraging a lazy faith-life.

Peace in Christ,
Thos.

December 30, 2007 6:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Of course, the best way to spread the Gospel is to live the Gospel, fully.

December 30, 2007 6:24 PM  
Blogger Joyful Catholic said...

"Little did I realize at the time, that good old Notre Dame Church which I left was a Full Gospel Church!"

My thoughts exactly, TJ. Thanks for the post and now that I'm in the combox, thanks to JM for the St Joan of Arc quote. It is perfect. I was thinking about this not long ago and how much more FULL everything is in the CC, it's not just a quote from scripture that I used to hope I'd live and kept 'praying for.' (mostly materialistic as a evangelical) "...have life and have it more abundantly" That seemed to be mostly referring to materialistic gains, some physical health and 'things'...but THEN I got knocked off my highhorse and woke up looking at the Dome across the Tiber! Holy Mother Church Batman! She's been there all the time! As I've heard it said:
I was saved, I'm being saved, and I hope to be saved. THAT is assurance. Assurance can't cross the line or it becomes presumption, which is sadly how some of those who lack understanding 'come off.' Only trust in the grace of our God as I "work out my salvation" is what will help me live out the Mass...the FULLNESS of the GOSPEL.

December 31, 2007 6:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would and have responded as Paul responds.

"We hope, in Love."

December 31, 2007 3:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ephesians 2, John 15
We are being saved as and if we remain in Christ. Love how the Church helps us to do this through Christ himself meeting us in and through the sacraments.

December 31, 2007 8:42 PM  
Blogger Hokule'a Kealoha said...

I am a former Cavary Chapel worship leader that will be crossing the Tiber this Easter. I heard you on Journey Home thank you for going on the show you really encouraged me

January 15, 2008 12:34 AM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

Dear Hokule'a:
We are honored to have been of assistance. We are so excited to be home in the Church we just want everyone to at least hear about the possibility, if they never considered it.
Welcome Home and keep me informed of your journey along the way.
God bless I will pray for you.

January 15, 2008 7:31 AM  

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis