Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Thursday, April 10, 2008

Taming the Tongue


Nick Hardesty,(PhatCatholic) had a post on his blog about taming the tongue. I have been thinking about blogging on this myself lately, so here goes.
I picked up this little book in the EWTN book store when we were in Alabama in December but didn't get the time to read it until I was in Haiti in February. It turns out it was written by a priest from Reading PA, not that far from where we live. The title intrigued me as I wondered how one could obtain holiness by way of our speech. Basing his "Master Plan" on James 3 v 1-12, Monsignor Losito has put together a short book that aims to help us grow closer to holiness through "taming the tongue." As the Scripture says, "anyone who does not fall short in speech, he is a perfect man, able to bridle his whole body also."

For most of my life, I have struggled with taming my tongue and as a Catholic have been particularly convicted of the sin of detraction which I have blogged about before. This area of speech also applies to the things we write on the internet in our blogs (Yes, I'm in trouble I know)
This book has been a godsend and I highly recommend it. Prodigal Daughter and I have both been convicted and blessed by reading this and it gets a 5 star Tiber Jumper Recommendation.

For little more than the price of a large Starbuck's carmel macchiato you can be on your way to greater holiness and likeness to Christ, with a lot less caffeine and sugar!

This book can be obtained here for $5.00

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Joyful Catholic said...

once again, "same page" bro!

Too weird. Too cool. I just read about controlling the tongue last night before retiring in St Faustina's diary. Notebook 1, 118. Boy, if that doesn't convict one! A very sobering account. "Chatterboxes do not share intimacy with God." (paraphrased)
I know what complaining does from my own life experience. I almost lost my marriage by complaining some 13 years ago. We can soothe and build up souls, or we can damn our own and tear down lives with mere words...or a single word tossed out with little regard. The power of one small muscle in our God-made bodies! Incredible! It is far better to remain silent "most of the time"....I'm learning. Ponder and keep these things in our hearts, as did Mary. Let her teach us how to make a "yes" a "yes" and a "no" a "no. For anything more than that means nothing less than trouble.

I must read your post on detraction, TJ. I group with 2 other women from CEC each Sat. a.m. and what is painfully clear, is how EASILY we can fall prey to that misuse of the tongue! It might start off innocent enough, but our flesh is quick to get in a "jab" here and there, and it's become most evident to me. I need to gently remind one of the women there, who knows herself, how she's been guilty of detraction. We all are, some more than others, though.

We can sometimes "cloak" what is really nothing other than gossip or detraction in the most spiritual sounding words, can't we? What we think is simply a statement about someone, we wrap in a "prayer request" and spill more beans than should ever be spilled. Especially when names are dropped. That is most disturbing to me, for it can alter one's perception of a person unfairly. It is nothing but 'tearing down or tearing apart a soul' who is not there to defend himself or herself. God forgive me. God forgive us.

Thanks, TJ. My best to PD, too.

April 11, 2008 6:49 AM  
Blogger PlainCatholic said...

Oh aye; have touched on the Tongue Taming topic myself. Sarcasm, in particular, seems to be a prevalent and pernicious sin in the Information Age. Thank you for this book recommendation. I shall order it soon.

April 11, 2008 10:37 PM  

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis