Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Blood and Water---- Beloved, Do Not Pass Over This Mystery Without Thought


George over at Path of the Weis has an interesting post regarding his discovery of the Catholic and historic meaning of the water and blood that flowed from Christ's side after the piercing by the centurion's sword. (Thanks George!)
This got me thinking about how the Church has richly viewed each and every aspect of the life of Christ, and in this case, the Passion of Christ. As a Protestant, I sung about the cross, marveled at the blood shed for my sins thanked Jesus for saving me and then kinda moved on, or passed over any significance beyond that. Certainly the redemption of man through His blood is the most significant reality but the Catholic Church focuses on every aspect of that passion in great detail, being lead by the Spirit to discover everything there is to understand about these gospel events.
The early Christians wrote extensively about the crucifixion and what these events meant.
St Chrysostom(347-407 AD) of the early fifth century tells us that the early Christians viewed the water and blood as pointing to the the Sacraments of the Eucharist and baptism. Again, this resonates with my last post regarding the importance of baptism to the early believers.

“There flowed from his side water and blood”. Beloved, do not pass over this mystery without thought; it has yet another hidden meaning, which I will explain to you. I said that water and blood symbolized baptism and the holy eucharist. From these two sacraments the Church is born: from baptism, “the cleansing water that gives rebirth and renewal through the Holy Spirit”, and from the holy eucharist. Since the symbols of baptism and the Eucharist flowed from his side, it was from his side that Christ fashioned the Church, as he had fashioned Eve from the side of Adam Moses gives a hint of this when he tells the story of the first man and makes him exclaim: “Bone from my bones and flesh from my flesh!” As God then took a rib from Adam’s side to fashion a woman, so Christ has given us blood and water from his side to fashion the Church. God took the rib when Adam was in a deep sleep, and in the same way Christ gave us the blood and the water after his own death.


Do you understand, then, how Christ has united his bride to himself and what food he gives us all to eat? By one and the same food we are both brought into being and nourished. As a woman nourishes her child with her own blood and milk, so does Christ unceasingly nourish with his own blood those to whom he himself has given life."

Also, this view of the passion of Christ points to the idea that the Church was very important to the believing body of Christ. The idea of Christ giving birth to his Church was so key to the early Christians because they were united to this one body and hence were "in Christ." There was no concept of "me and Jesus." It was more like: "Me and the Church Jesus gave me that unites me to Him through his death which I experienced through baptism and the nourishment he gives me in his body and blood (the Eucharist)"

Here You Go Again, You Catholics are always talking about the Church, what about Jesus?
The early believers did not juxtapose Jesus and the Church. They were not pitted against another as happened after the reformation. It was a non-issue, and in the context of history at the time, impossible to consider. The Church was mentioned 111 times in the New Testament (KJV version) mentioned by Jesus, Peter, Luke, Paul, John and James.

3 Comments:

Blogger George Weis said...

Fascinating addition to what I read! Now, to get me some of that! :)

So many obstacles in the way.

Love you Russ,
-g-

June 17, 2009 7:19 PM  
Blogger kkollwitz said...

Hey, interesting post...you've prompted me to do a blood'n'water article as well at my blog.

June 17, 2009 10:30 PM  
Blogger Joyful Catholic said...

I heard "blood and water" today, and it reminded me of when I called The Doctor Is In, and was so overwhelmed at the blood and water given, shed for us at the Eucharistic sacrifice. It's not a "blooddy" sacrifice now, but had not the blood and water been shed on teh cross, we'd not have the Eucharist now and we'd be in worse shape than we are! How can people ignore such a wondrous and amazing gift given DAILY!?? The BREAD of Angels, the CHALICE of PUREST BLOOD shed and poured out to the last pure drop that ran down the cross to the holy ground. It's there. WE ARE THERE at the foot of the CROSS when we go to MASS!!! IT has BLOWN my soul to bits! And in one fell swoop has healed it, redeeming every broken "bit" that was shattered. As Paul McCartney sang so beautifully, MAYBE I'M AMAZED AT THE WAY YOU (MY LORD) LOVE ME ALL THE TIME...MAYBE I'M AMAZED AT THE WAY I NEED YOU!!!

June 19, 2009 8:08 PM  

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis