Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Saturday, June 26, 2010

Did They Try to Win You Back?


I was talking to Prodigal Daughter today and we both thought it was interesting that when we became Catholic neither of us had a discussion with evangelical friends that attempted to win us back to the evangelical faith. In the past I have mentioned the "silence" that other blogger-converts have talked about once they became Catholic, but does anyone recall any lengthy discussions with protestant friends who attempted to convince them they were going down the wrong road?
I did have one talk with a physician colleague that I had been friends with for 15 years and when I explained to him that I had just become Catholic he said "that's the worst news I have ever heard." He then started to berate Scott Hahn as being an imbecile when I told him about his writings and conversion story. But no one tried to actually convince me to stop pursuing Catholicism.

Why was that? Did they feel I was deceived beyond hope? Or did my ex-Catholic friends fear I might be onto something and start to avoid me so they wouldn't have to think about it? I don't know. Have any of you been successful in sharing your reasons for conversion with protestant friends in a meaningful way?

One evangelical woman who was a nationally known writer and speaker found out that her friend had become Catholic. She kept after her and started reading all she could about Catholicism to get her friend to reconsider. She is now a Catholic and doing her best to share the marvelous news about Jesus and His Church to friends and family in her twilight years.

5 Comments:

Blogger kkollwitz said...

IIRC, Gerry Matatics tried to persuade Hahn of his errors, and we know how that turned out.

June 26, 2010 8:17 PM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

Is that true? I didn't know that. Interesting.

June 26, 2010 8:56 PM  
Anonymous Wendy said...

My roommate during the time I became Catholic will enter RCIA shortly. She was never adamantly opposed but she certainly wasn't looking for a change herself. Her draw has been the change that has occured in me from the Sacraments. Ironically a mutual friend of ours who was so very concerned when I converted is somewhat beside herself now that my old roommate is too. She just confronted me over and over telling me if I can find it in the bible then she is okay with it. Ironically she wasn't that interested in John 6 when I showed that to her.

June 28, 2010 7:44 PM  
Blogger truthfinder said...

Have had some Protestant friends who are very open to my explanations, (surprisingly!) about the BVM and the Eucharist. I only hope I have planted some seed in good ground. Thanks for all the great posts!

July 05, 2010 8:09 PM  
Anonymous Dee said...

After becoming Catholic, a few of our Evangelical "friends" sent some hyper anti-Catholic stuff to us. Now,for the past 3 year we have just been ignored. I'd say they have much to answer for since some of these purport to believe we are hell bound. I have a hunch, though, they are afraid they will lose an argument. We keep praying for the grace of the Holy Spirit to enlighten their minds and hearts.

July 24, 2010 9:08 AM  

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis