Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Thursday, November 24, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving!

Many of us learned in elementary school that the first Thanksgiving in the New World was 1621.  More careful research has revealed that this is not true. The first real Thanksgiving celebration actually took place by Catholics, not Puritans, in 1565 in St. Augustine, Florida with Spanish settlers and the Seloy Indians. The settlers celebrated their feast around the Eucharist by having Mass! Check out this article by Taylor Marshall, former Anglican priest.
Eucharist is a word from the original Greek New Testament meaning "giving Thanks."

"And taking bread, he gave thanks, and brake; and gave to them, saying: This is my body, which is given for you. Do this for a commemoration of me." (Douay Rheims)

We were able to start our Thanksgiving celebration this morning by attending Mass at our home parish. We have so much to be thankful for, but most especially God's gift of his only begotten son, Jesus, becoming truly and substantially present as the Eucharist on altars throughout the world, every moment of the day from the rising to the setting of the sun
"For from the rising of the sun even to the going down, my name is great among the Gentiles, and in every place there is sacrifice, and there is offered to my name a clean oblation: for my name is great among the Gentiles, saith the Lord of hosts."  (Malachi)

1 Comments:

Blogger George @ Convert Journal said...

Happy Thanksgiving Russ!

November 24, 2011 1:56 PM  

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis