Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Friday, December 16, 2011

Christopher Hitchens RIP

What do you mean Rest in Peace? What the heck? He called Mother Teresa a "Fanatic Albanian Dwarf!" How could he possibly be in purgatory?(and thus ultimately bound for Heaven after being purified) Are Catholics universalists believing no one goes to hell? No, absolutely not. We certainly believe in hell and that it will indeed be populated by Catholics,Protestants,Jews, Muslims, atheists etc, but we know not to speculate on the eternal destiny of an individual's soul. We are told to pray for them, because in the moment of death, there is an opportunity, perhaps for that individual to repent and reach out to God. Often the Catholic doctrines of purgatory and baptism are derided because of the Lord's invitation for the thief on the cross to join Him in paradise that day. But it also opens the possibility that others could have an end-of-life thief on the cross experience themselves. Only God knows.
Catholicism is always hopeful.

One of the prayers we pray regularly at the end of each decade of the rosary is this one: Oh my Jesus, forgives us our sins and save us from the fires of hell. Lead all souls to heaven, especially those in most need of your mercy. Tonight I'll offer up a decade for Christopher Hitchens.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mes for Life said...

I give you a lot of credit Russ, all I could eek out for him thus far, is a weak Hail Mary.....he has done so much harm to this world....and has led so many astray.....

December 16, 2011 11:25 PM  
Blogger Lachen said...

I'm sure the fanatic albanian dwarf has been praying for him too.

December 17, 2011 3:44 AM  

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis