Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Saturday, April 21, 2012

It's Either The Church Jesus Started-Warts and All - Or It Isn't

I wonder what would happen if those who are critical of their local Catholic parishes just spent one year in some of the non-Catholic ecclesial communities I have belonged to over the years. After a year without the sacraments, they'd be begging to receive Jesus in the Eucharist, even at a "liturgically incorrect" Mass.

The worst "liturgical abuse," IMHO, is knowingly being in schism with the Church Jesus started.
It's either the Church Jesus started, warts and all, or it isn't, with all its imperfections brought about by our human condition. If one claims to be Catholic, he or she has given up the "right" to decide what's the best form and style of worship--so long as everything is done in accordance with the Church's liturgical norms. Those who insist that one rite is better than another (even though the Vatican has approved all rites) come perilously close to making the same mistake that the reformers made. They "knew" better than the Magisterium of the Church, essentially putting themselves on a par with the Holy Spirit. I have spent 31 years of my life as a Protestant, believing all manner of heterodoxy and participating in many forms and styles of un-orthodox worship. If I now experience a Mass that is "less than orthodox," or has some degree of liturgical abuse in it, as long as the Eucharist is validly consecrated with proper form and matter, Jesus is there, and I can offer my sacrifice in union with Him to the Father. This the true sacrifice of worship, and it happens regardless of bad homilies, mediocre music, banners from the 70's etc. I am so thankful to be Catholic and have had the opportunity to receive Him in Catholic churches all over the world in which I have worshiped, from Galway, Ireland to Port-Au-Prince, Haiti to Los Angeles, California to Orefield, Pennsylvania.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A. Men. I could not have said it better.

Sarah

April 21, 2012 5:27 PM  
Blogger owenswain said...

As you know, my friend, you words are a part of this post Three Witnesses...but wait with some additional thoughts on Christ's intentional choice of a broken man for Pope 1 and, the thoughts of another Pope, the Bl. JPII. Thanks again for letting me borrow your words.

April 21, 2012 10:39 PM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

my pleasure Owen. It's an honour for me to have you re-post a part of this. Plus i like the little caricature, an I may still need you for my next album cover! God bless

April 21, 2012 11:48 PM  

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis