Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Saturday, January 05, 2013

St. Vincent of Lerins and Heresy Again


Dr. Bryan Cross has a great piece at Called To Communion on Saint Vincent of Lerins method of determining heresy. I have quoted from Saint Vincent before as he makes it historically clear that the principle of "sola scriptura" was not the accepted standard for determining doctrine in the 5th century. As you will see from Bryan's article and my previous posts, Saint Lerins shows us that the Church uses both Sacred Tradition together with Holy Scripture to determine what teachings are orthodox and devoid of error, not just man-made personal interpretation of Sacred Scripture. It has always been enlightening to me to realize that the Church defended the doctrine of the Trinity in (325 AD) even before the New Testament was canonized (382 AD). This proved that scripture alone could not settle the Aryan heresy threatening to split the Church, because they weren't even decided at that point which circulating epistles and books were Scripture!

Keep in mind: "Almost every heresy that has disturbed the unity of the Church has been advocated by men who appealed to Scripture in confirmation of the doctrines they taught."
(James Dodds- Protestant theologian)

2 Comments:

Blogger George @ Convert Journal said...

"the Church defended the doctrine of the Trinity in (325 AD) even before the New Testament was canonized (382 AD)"

A very interesting point. I knew the facts in isolation but for some reason the implication hadn't occurred to me.

January 05, 2013 8:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes, me too. That kind of ostensible spiritual blindness is the fruit of heresy....

May 24, 2013 7:55 AM  

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis