Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Lent : A Season for "Finishing" Your Faith.

I can't believe it's Lent again! I really need Lent. I have a love/hate relationship with Lent. I hate the sacrifices but love what they do for my life with the Lord. It's not just about giving up stuff, but Lent is also about doing more. Doing more for others, giving a little more of our time and talents and resources and spending a little more time in prayer, spiritual reading etc. What's not to love?
   The practice of observing Lent hearkens back to the early Church when they prepared for Easter with 40 days of prayer, fasting and alms-giving.  Our Lord fasted for 40 days, and thus it sets a precedent for his followers. All the well known (and less well-known) saints spent periods of fasting and prayer in order to nourish their spiritual lives and grow closer to the Lord. Who am I that I should do less?  Saint Paul tell us: Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.  

So, by His grace, I am going to try to lay aside some weights and sins which ensnare me and try to endure my crosses and look to Jesus, the author and finisher of my faith. Lent, therefore, is a time of "finishing" that the Church gives us as a great gift, which we all need.

I hope and pray this Lenten season will be used by the Holy Spirit to draw you closer to him.

Please pray for Pope Benedict as he resigns and the conclave to be sensitive to the Holy Spirit in choosing our next pope.

I'll be back after Easter. We will be in Haiti  for part of Lent so we could use your prayers as always.
God bless!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Potamiaena said...

Have a great Lent and I will miss your blog postings! Safe travels to Haiti.

February 12, 2013 10:41 PM  

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis