Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

The First Printed Bible 1452


Speaking of the Bible, I have included a photo of one of the actual pages of Jeremiah from the first Bible ever printed by that that German entrepreneur, Johann Gutenberg.
I had been taught as a young believer that Catholics hated the Bible and tried to keep it from the common folk. I was therefore suprised to find that:
1) the first book ever printed was the Bible !
2) The gentleman who printed it was a Catholic! (Incidentally, this Bible contained the entire canon of Scripture that had been accepted since the 4th Century. One of his fellow countrymen later removed several books from this Bible) and almost succeeded in removing James. 3) Most folks in the 15th century were illiterate so they still relied on spoken word and oral tradition to tell the Gospel story.
4) The cost of this Bible was three year's wages. No wonder the Church kept them chained to the pulpits!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis