Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Saturday, September 16, 2006

A Great Love Affair


There has recently been a flurry of activity in the "blogosphere" concerning the Catholic conversion of a well-known evangelical children's minister which I have posted about recently. Some of the non-Catholic sites posted comments such as:

"Very disappointing! I am going to try to watch his interview on EWTN next week. I am very curious about his change of thinking"

"This blows me away. My aunt, the first one in our family, did the same thing. I don't get it."

"Has anyone else heard this? What are your thoughts? I find it very interesting, and yet the 'Gospel' is still mentioned, that's good! I'm not suggesting anything negative about Catholics - I'm only commenting that this is a very surprising switch for me."

"This really blows me away! I would love to talk to him and find out what is going on. I have booked him in the past, but would not book him in the future until I got some clarity."

"Perhaps if the Donut Man had a pastor that could have explained the Biblical faith to him clearly, he would have understood what he was rejecting."

"As a former Catholic, I find this intriguing . . . "

"I used to recommend the Donut Man videos to people. They're great teaching tools for children. He makes the Bible stories so exciting for kids. I'm saddened to learn that he's now a Catholic! I ran across this article:
http://www.nache.org/expo_speakers.html He used to be rock-solid. I don't get why these people are doing this (eg. Cathy Duffy.) Am I missing something?"

I would say to the person above that they are not necessarily missing something, but rather, others are finding something: the Truth in this Ancient Church that they did not see or could/would not recognize. Up until 4 years ago, I would not read, review or consider anything Catholic merely based on my prejudice against a Church I did not understand, rejecting 2000 years of history out of hand. I was also rejecting the beauty of the writings of theologians, scholars and godly people (we call them Saints) who had a great love affair with Jesus Christ through the Catholic Church.


“It is impossible to be just to the Catholic Church. The moment men cease to pull against it they feel a tug towards it. The moment they cease to shout it down they begin to listen to it with pleasure. The moment they try to be fair to it they begin to be fond of it. But when that affection has passed a certain point it begins to take on the tragic and menacing grandeur of a great love affair.”

G.K. Chesterton (1874-1936)

Chesterton was a convert to Catholicism who wrote 100's of books and one called called
"The Everlasting Man" led a young atheist named C.S. Lewis to convert to Christianity.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis